Carb Height info. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Post Carb Height info.

I'm looking for info. on Carb heights from mounting Flange to Air Cleaner flange. I'm running into Air Cleaner clearance problems hitting underside of hood of my 64 Chev Impala. It's running a 402 with a Weiand 8005 Dual Plane and Holley 750 vac. Maybe a Carter AFB, Thermoquad, Edelbrock Carb is lower. I have about 3-6mm (1/8-1/4") clearance at the moment and I'm sure to have problems under acceleration. The Air Cleaner is a K & N 14"x 2" type with a very low filter base. I doubt that you could get anything lower. There's about 1" clearance between top cover and filter base .Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...........Barry.M

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 07:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is there any carb spacer? The best bet might be to lower the engine in the car a half inch or so, usually just elongating the mount bolt holes will get you some room. But a 1/4 inch is alright, I have run similar clearances and not had any problems. I had to strip the hood liners in some cases just to fit. If it doesn't hit now and you are worried just fit a limiter strap or chain in case you break an engine mount, if you do a good job the strap will work only under hard acceleration..
Old 08-04-2002, 07:37 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hi Barry, I don't know much but I do know I had a Holley on my stang and decided to try an Edelbrock carb. I had a low profile (14" I think) Edelbrock air cleaner on the Holley but it wouldn't fit on the Edelbrock carb. The electric choke housing was in the way. So if you are looking for low profile an Edelbrock carb with electric choke won't help much. I switched back to a Holley anyway, didn't like the Edelbrock carb.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:42 AM
Old Phart

Last photo:

Thanks 4Jaw Chuck and dmorris1200 for your inputs.
No I'm not running a carb spacer. I'd like to but no room. I've found that this 402 likes to run Hot in Summer and Fuel Percolation when switched off after a run is a problem. I'm considering changing the Inlet Manifold from the current Edelbrock Torker (small port) to a Weiand Dual Plane (8005). I have been real disappointed with the performance of the Torker,real soggy bottom end. Previously I had a plain old Cast Iron Q-Jet manifold with an adapter or a 750 vac Holley.This combo went well. Then I put on this "Torker" for more performance,but lost out on off the line grunt,naturally I sold the Q-Jet manifold. This Weiand came up about 6 months ago so I grabbed it. It's not until now that I have found that it is much Taller than the Torker and Taller than the stock highrise Cast Iron intake I had originally. Hence my questions about Carb Heights.
dmorris1200,you didn't like the Edelebrock Carb.? Your reasons ??. I'll look at the engine mounts as well 4Jaw Chuck,I need to change them anyway as one is looking very average. I did consider modifying the pedestals which the engine mounts sit on. Once again, Thanks for your responces.
Cheers................Barry
Old 08-06-2002, 04:55 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hi again Barry. I bought the Edelbrock as a test, it was the first time trying one. Right out of the box the float was sticking and that made me a little nervous (like putting in a new starter and having it go click, click). She also just didn't seem to have the punch like the holley had. I ended up returning it defective and payed the difference to get the holley street avenger. I like the idea of being able to quick change the secondary spring for easy tuning of the secondaries. Have you considered trying the Edelbrock Air-Gap manifold. The runners are raised to allow air flow under them. I know two people with them and are happy, don't know about the height though.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:30 AM
Old Phart

Last photo:

Hi dmorris1200. No I haven't considered an Edelbrock Air Gap manifold. I picked up this Weiand Dual Plane manifold S/H at a fairly good price. New manifolds for BB Chev's over here in Australia start at about $450 for a Performer!!. Needless to say,used stuff in good condition sells FAST !. Interesting about your comments on the carb though. I must admit that I prefer the Holleys also,they have been arround forever and easy to work on,parts everywhere-even Australia.
Thanks for your comments.............Barry.M

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.