Hot Rod Forum banner

carb help

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  johnsongrass1 
#1 ·
holley 4160 vac sec carb, fuel is shooting up throu the tube on top of the carb on the secondary side

rebuild it and tryed to cracnk it up and this happend, wtf did i do?

btw, this is my 1sy attempt at rebuilding a carb

thank you
-chris

#4 ·
After making sure the needle and seat are moving freely double check that you have the right float in the correct side. One float arm will be slightly longer than another and this causes the float to come into contact with the metering block effectively preventing the carb float from ever closing until the float bowl fills up and over flows out the vent tube near the top. If I remember right, the brass float goes on the primary side.

#5 ·
fixed the problem, it was the floats....

now i have another question

when the car is idleing, fuel drops from the secondary side and not from the primary side .....before the rebuild it droped from the primary side whitch i would assume to be normal......

am i paranoid or did i mess somthing up?

btw, the two adjuster screws seem to do nothing

any ideas??

thank you

-chris

#6 ·
Fuel Dripping

Fuel should not be dripping out of the front or rear boosters at idle. There are a few things that can cause this to happen. First, your float level may be too high. Second there could be some dirt or debris in either the air bleeds, or metering blocks. Third, the butterfly's may be open too far.

Try lowering your float levels to see if this helps your situation. If it does not, clean out the main body, and metering block with some good carb cleaner, and compressed air. If the problem still persists re-adjust the butterflies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.