Carb help PLEASE!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb help PLEASE!!!

I have a newly rebuilt Dodge 383(mostly stock components/bored 30 over) with about 500 miles on it. I have a new Edelbrock thunder series AVS 650 cfm carb w/ elec ck. I thought a new carb would help me to start fresh with no worries, but i have not gotten good results. I had an "older friend" that is familiar with working on mopars help me adjust the carb with his analyzer/tach meter and it seemed to run pretty well for awhile. Now it seems to run rich( you can smell it) when it warms up. The spark plugs on the right side of the engine are black and sooty, while the ones on the drivers side look normal. Also the exhaust is getting soot on the valance, and bumper. I am thinking about swapping to a Holley carb, because I can't find anyone in my area that can tune anything other than a Holley. Most of them don't think too highly of the edelbrock(carter-esque) carbs also. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject/ or what could be causing my problems? I am at the end of my rope!

Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

An Edelbrock carb, Performer or AVS, will run out of the box and fairly well. BUT, they do need to be set up for your engine combination. That means working with the rods, jets, springs and fuel pump rod length. You also need to ensure that the fuel pump pressure at the carb inlet does not exceed 4-4.5 psig. Additionally, these carbs can be sensitive to dirt and a GOOD fuel filter installed. Fuel pressure and dirt will cause rich running. That carb came with a very good instruction book - you do need to read it (it can be confusing at first) and understand how to set that carb up as they do and will run very well. As far as "others" not caring for these carbs - if they didn't read that IB, then set that carb up accordingly, then they are the big losers. Holleys can and do have problems too but they seem a bit less sensitive to dirt and pressure.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another thing to check is your timing. I had a issue with my holley carb and no amount of changes would get rid of it. Turned out to be a combination of my vacuum advance not being happy with my initial timing setting and after got that sorted out it now runs perfect.

I had to do a lot of tuning with my holley to get it running good and the edelbrock carbs are good carburetors as well. All carburetors have there good points and bad points but they still can be made to work good up to a certain point. What is your cam size as that can wreck havoc if its a bigger size cam. Also just like stated above fuel pressure is really picky with edelbrock carbs as they can't handle like what holleys do but not too far off.

Check the floats as it could be making to high of a float level and also does your carb get very hot? I have read that they got hot very easy and the fuel will boil over the side into the intake after it sits after running hot.

I used to run a edelbrock but I like that you can fine tune certain areas on the holley more then an edelbrock and I always got better throttle response with a holley. If your motor is pretty much stock and with a stock size cam then it should run excellent on your engine. Make sure to just tune one area at a time and make notes of what changes you made if you have too. It came in handy for me when I did changes and was able to go back to stock settings if what I did didn't make any difference. Good luck.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.