Carb and Ignition Guidance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb and Ignition Guidance

Well i finally go the motor out of my C10 and torn down.
The motor is a SBC 355. flat tops with 4 valve reliefs. a coworker of mine who is heavy into bracket racing and has been building motors for quite a bit gave me a set of camel hump heads and an old eddy TM1 intake. the heads are ready to go with drilled and tapped studs. roller rockers. hardened seats etc. the intake is good with no cracks.

he also has a 280h magnum cam and lifter set he'd give me if i wanted it.

im looking for advice on what carb and ignition system to run.
He is telling me that the Quick Fuel 650CFM Hot Rod with Mechanical Secondaries would be perfect.

I come from the world of high hp cummins pulling trucks. i did a body off resto on the truck and now it needs some go fast help.

thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM

those are all antiquated parts.For free I would use that intake.Most people prefer the performer RPM.
The MSD ignition systems are very good. The 6-AL can be ordered with lots of options including a rev limiter
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

For free the cam isn't bad. For anything driven on the street I would use a vacuum secondaries carb.

If you really want to help that truck get yourself a mild stall and some deep gears, depending on your tire size 4.10s or 4.56's wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM

i realize its outdated technology and there is better options. but it was all given to me for free so im going to run it. the truck already has 4:10s and a posi. i have a tko600 swap in the garage next to the truck for this winter.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM

free is a good price,bolt them on and have fun.
I use nothing but double pumpers on my street engines,only problem is,The smiles they create have a cost at the pump.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

cost at the pump isnt a worry for me when its a toy. as long as im smiling. im going to go ahead and order the previously mentioned carb tonight but that still leaves me without an ignition system..my buddy keeps telling me to buy a mechanical advance pertronix but i was always told not to run them on the street. im very mechanically inclined and am a diesel mechanic by trade so tuning and such wont be a problem. just looking for some advice/ opinions.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM

I use an MSD distributor. set the curve "before" you install it.Do the basic mechanical/clearance checks also.I also use the MSD 60AL box with a rev limiter(cheap insurance)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM

Any way you could elaborate on that?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If the cam has been run in an engine already, I'd pass on it.

That carb is pretty sweet for the $$. I've always gotten good results from the Holley 4777 when used on medium displacement performance builds. Don't forget a looser torque converter if you have an AT and use the 280 grind.

The MSD 6 series is the "go-to" setup these days. You're going to need a good advance curve in the distributor.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 PM

well ive ordered and received a complete pro billet 6al msd setup and a 650 Quick Fuel Hot Rod card with mech. secondaries thanks to a pretty good 4th sale.

that leaves me with the cam. is the 280h a good pick? the truck is a stick with 4:10s. pure street toy.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabehero View Post
well ive ordered and received a complete pro billet 6al msd setup and a 650 Quick Fuel Hot Rod card with mech. secondaries thanks to a pretty good 4th sale.

that leaves me with the cam. is the 280h a good pick? the truck is a stick with 4:10s. pure street toy.
Are you looking to re-use a used flat tappet cam? That is a recipe for disaster. I agree with Cobalt's assessment to pass.

If the budget allows you would be best off with a retro-roller cam. They are expensive, the upside is more more performance and almost no chance of wiping a cam lobe or lifter. The EPA has been mandating the removal of zinc from motor oils and this spells disaster for the old school flat tappet cams.

The CC Magnum cams do not have an aggressive ramp rate (how fast the lifter opens and closes) as compared to the higher performance line of Xterme Energy cams (or Lunati Voodoo line for another brand example). A less aggressive ramp rate means you cam has a better chance of surviving. More duration (and 280 is big cam for a C10 IMHO) generally means more lift, which needs a higher pressure spring to keep the lifter on the cam. More spring pressure means you really need more zinc in the oil.

Using a flat tappet cam these days can be done, but you REALLY need to pay attention to what you are doing in the build. After the build you can forget about synthetic oils. You are going to do research and buy specific oil and/or dope it with ZDDP every oil change. Lots has been written on the subject, just google something "wiped cam lobe" and begin. I don't mean to scare you, but you need to know this before you jump into this.

Here is a great article you should read before you decide to go flat tappet:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ips_and_tricks
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM

I'm aware of all of that. I've built many motors before and am a diesel mechanic by trade. 12v cummins are my forte. I'm very well versed in engine building and oil types and additives etc. The 280 is a brand new set he would well me for 150. What is a better/ more power producing cam if the 280 isn't reccomended.?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 PM

any roller cam,,, most solid flat tappet cams,and quite a few hydraulic flat tappet cams. I wouldnt use a free hydraulic flat tappet cam,I like engines that make good power
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Well with the head and intake and carb combo above in the stated truck. What are some cams you'd reccomend? Looking for a nice lumpy idle and good power. Like I said above its a weekend toy
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 PM

if you refuse to toss out those heads,,,this is a minimum I would use,,,
111203-10 NA 269 269 237 237 .555 .555 110 106 .022 .022 1,2,5
2500-6500 Rough idle, Street Performance/mild Strip. Recommend 9.5:1 CR, 2500+ stall.
this is a very small solid roller cam. It would work well with your intake and you need decent headers and 3 inch exhaust. The 650 would be on the small side

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.