Carb and induction recommendations, 408 Chevy.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb and induction recommendations, 408 Chevy..

I'm building an engine with the following specs:

CID: 400, .040 over
Rod Length: 6"
Crank: Lunati Forged
Cam: Lunati Bracket Master II, 290,290 duration, .460 lift, LSA/ICL: 112/108
Heads: World Cast with mild porting, 2.02/1.60
Compression: 9.8 to 1
Exhaust: Running Headers and Duals

I was wondering what the best manifold / carb combo would be for this setup. This is going into a 67 Chevelle and it will be mainly for street use, with an occasional pass down the strip every now and then...

I have the stock hood on the car, and I'm not sure if a multiple carburation setup will fit without getting a new hood... so I'm probably going to go for a single 4 barrel setup (unless someone has fit 3 twos or 2 quads under the stock hood..).

I've done some searching and there seems to be a lot of opinions between Holley derivatives and Edelbrocks. I've also seen pros and cons between the "Air Gap" and non air gap dual planes....looks like 750cfm is a common carb flow # on this size of engine.....

I'm looking for a fairly reliable and consistent combo... I know I have to do some fine tuning and that doesn't bother me... as long as the tuning aspect doesn't get out of hand...

Any thoughts out there.....???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Weiand Stealth Air Strike Dual Plane 770 CFM V/S Holley Avenger Carb
Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 PM

Yeah, that was fairly close to what I was thinking.... I've seen a lot of negative feedback on the Holley Street Avenger Carbs though..especially in the reliability department....would a Proform, Quick Fuel, or Demon be a better choice??

Also would the Air Strike manifold be a little more tricky to tune than a regular Stealth?? I may take the car out on occasion when the temp is 40 degrees but the skies are clear (normal winter weather in the Northwest if it isn't raining...it either rains, snows, or is clear and pretty cold...)... If the 'Air Gap' type manifolds don't make that much of a difference in tuning, I'll probably go that route....

Any more suggestions???
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

My opinion....you really won't see much difference (on the street) between an air gap and a performer or performer rpm. If you had a controlled situation like on an engine dyno and could really tweek the individual combo's then the air gap would probably win out by a few hp.

Most guy's have problems with carbs because they don't know how to tune them correctly for their combination....I've had my share!! There are a million Holleys, E'brocks and Q'jets that are running on the street with no problems.

I'm running a "Quick Fuel" 650 on my 331" sbc, good bunch of guy's to work with. If you're interested, when you call ask for "Robbie" he will help you out with your application. Also, unless you have an open hooded roadster I'd skip the 3X2, won't make near the power as a good single 4 bbl. and can be a bit-- to tune.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 AM

It seems that the compression is reasonable, must have a dished piston. Your cam is mild for that combination. Why not try a Comp cams 280 or 294 solid. Performer RPM and a holley vacuum secondary 750. (#3310). I know that the first thing people always change is the intake manifold and headers. Everyone thinks they need a aftermarket "high rise". The old stock Non-EGR SBC quadrajet intakes work very well, even with larger cams. GM engineers put a lot of time into development into those intakes. I would be surprised to find that very few aftermarket dual plane intake would out flow or out perform one of those old cast iron intakes from idle to about 5800 RPM. Just my $3.75 worth (adjusted for inflation).
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert
I'm building an engine with the following specs:

CID: 400, .040 over
Rod Length: 6"
Crank: Lunati Forged
Cam: Lunati Bracket Master II, 290,290 duration, .460 lift, LSA/ICL: 112/108
Heads: World Cast with mild porting, 2.02/1.60
Compression: 9.8 to 1
Exhaust: Running Headers and Duals

I was wondering what the best manifold / carb combo would be for this setup. This is going into a 67 Chevelle and it will be mainly for street use, with an occasional pass down the strip every now and then...

I have the stock hood on the car, and I'm not sure if a multiple carburation setup will fit without getting a new hood... so I'm probably going to go for a single 4 barrel setup (unless someone has fit 3 twos or 2 quads under the stock hood..).

I've done some searching and there seems to be a lot of opinions between Holley derivatives and Edelbrocks. I've also seen pros and cons between the "Air Gap" and non air gap dual planes....looks like 750cfm is a common carb flow # on this size of engine.....

I'm looking for a fairly reliable and consistent combo... I know I have to do some fine tuning and that doesn't bother me... as long as the tuning aspect doesn't get out of hand...

Any thoughts out there.....???
I can give you the measurements on our Six Shooter Triple Induction where you can measure and see if there is enough room or not. From the china wall to the top of the air cleaner is 10.938 at the front and 11.536 at the rear. These were taken with a 3 inch element so dropping to a 2 ich element would allow you to subtract 1 inch from the numbers above.

In regards to a single carburetor we would recommend the 750 but with annular boosters.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.