Which carb/intake to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which carb/intake to use?

What would be a good carb/intake to use for the following:

Engine:
383 SBC, 10:1
iron heads, 2.02"/1.60", 1.6:1 roller rocker arms
cam specs: hydraulic, 235*@.050, .480"

Chassis:
3700 lbs.
TH350, stall dependant on carb/intake (any suggestions)
somewhere around 3.70:1 gears
tires 26-27" diameter

Car will be street application. I was thinking a 650 vacuum secondary with an air gap dual plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

RPM air gap and a 600-650 would be great. Demon, maybe?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 PM

Carb Intake

I think your dead-on with the Air Gap -- and Carb size -- I'd look at a Demon carb really close - I contacted a couple of Extreme engine builders when looking for an engine about 8 months ago - and both told me they had switched to Demon carbs - and were getting a few more horses and easier tune jobs to get them.. Otherwise you never go wrong with Holley.. Good Luck
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Weiand Stealth. Any of the carb brands should be all right. Demon, Holley, Edelbrock. Holley's 670 street avenger is nice though.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Q-jet all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl
What would be a good carb/intake to use for the following:

Engine:
383 SBC, 10:1
iron heads, 2.02"/1.60", 1.6:1 roller rocker arms
cam specs: hydraulic, 235*@.050, .480"

Chassis:
3700 lbs.
TH350, stall dependant on carb/intake (any suggestions)
somewhere around 3.70:1 gears
tires 26-27" diameter

Car will be street application. I was thinking a 650 vacuum secondary with an air gap dual plane.
I have a pretty similar build. had the motor in my 4x4 truck for a while and now its in my 65 malibu. i had a holley 700 cfm double end loader/double pumper on it in the truck and got a solid 6 mpg. i also liked to hit the truck pulls and got to test the difference between a holley and a Q-jet. the holley i had to be careful off the line because if you dumped the throttle to soon the engine would lean out and die due to low rpm no vacuum. i put a Q-jet on and immediately got 12 mpg and the performance was much better. i could lug the 350 down to 500 rpm with a 292 dur/.510 lift cam with Victor Jr intake, put it to the wood and that little 350 would start to boot it down. it shows even better results in the car as im not trying to pull 50,000 lbs along with me. all Q-jets are 750 cfm except for a rare few off olds/buick that are 850 but these are hard to find. the beauty of the Q-jet is it will only feed your motor what it can handle. the 700 holley worked fine on the truck i just had to use tact when in certain conditions. the Q-jet got double the mileage in the truck over the holley AND i got almost 21 mpg in the malibu but i couldn't stay off the pedal. anyway. i hopped up my Q-jet from a great article i found on the net. i didnt know there was so much difference in the stock parts. you can even change the rear jet hangers to better control the rich/lean mixture. i didnt know there were different hangers untill i read this article. not my Q-jet is kick *** and it was almost free. i had had so many q-jets over the years plus a bud gave he his "Junk" q-jets so i ended up with about 20 of them. i stripped all the parts and laid them out, picked the Good stuff and put it together. i am now running a 304 dur/.510 .533 lift cam and Vic Jr intake and i can stop dead. let off the brake, let it start to roll, boot it down and hang on as it will bake the tires right off the line. best carb i have ever had. you just need to know how to tune it. and really the only thing to really watch for is that the spring load is set correctly on the rear barrels. when this is out of whack, thats when you get the dredded bog. it is so easy to adjust this it isnt even funny. go with a q-jet.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain1
I have a pretty similar build. had the motor in my 4x4 truck for a while and now its in my 65 malibu. i had a holley 700 cfm double end loader/double pumper on it in the truck and got a solid 6 mpg. i also liked to hit the truck pulls and got to test the difference between a holley and a Q-jet. the holley i had to be careful off the line because if you dumped the throttle to soon the engine would lean out and die due to low rpm no vacuum. i put a Q-jet on and immediately got 12 mpg and the performance was much better. i could lug the 350 down to 500 rpm with a 292 dur/.510 lift cam with Victor Jr intake, put it to the wood and that little 350 would start to boot it down. it shows even better results in the car as im not trying to pull 50,000 lbs along with me. all Q-jets are 750 cfm except for a rare few off olds/buick that are 850 but these are hard to find. the beauty of the Q-jet is it will only feed your motor what it can handle. the 700 holley worked fine on the truck i just had to use tact when in certain conditions. the Q-jet got double the mileage in the truck over the holley AND i got almost 21 mpg in the malibu but i couldn't stay off the pedal. anyway. i hopped up my Q-jet from a great article i found on the net. i didnt know there was so much difference in the stock parts. you can even change the rear jet hangers to better control the rich/lean mixture. i didnt know there were different hangers untill i read this article. not my Q-jet is kick *** and it was almost free. i had had so many q-jets over the years plus a bud gave he his "Junk" q-jets so i ended up with about 20 of them. i stripped all the parts and laid them out, picked the Good stuff and put it together. i am now running a 304 dur/.510 .533 lift cam and Vic Jr intake and i can stop dead. let off the brake, let it start to roll, boot it down and hang on as it will bake the tires right off the line. best carb i have ever had. you just need to know how to tune it. and really the only thing to really watch for is that the spring load is set correctly on the rear barrels. when this is out of whack, thats when you get the dredded bog. it is so easy to adjust this it isnt even funny. go with a q-jet.

I always had good luck with Q-Jets as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Carbs and intake

I checked Holley's website. Two carbs that are recommended is the 0-80585S 750 cfm, Model 4160. The 0-80770 770 cfm. Both carbs have electric choke and vacuum secondaries. They also list the Street Avenger in the 670 cfm and 770 cfm but they are made of aluminum. Demon Carb recommend the #1282010VE 650 Speed Demon with vacuum secondaries. The electric choke is optional. All the above carbs recommend a dual plane intake. Demon also recommends a stall less than 3000 rpm. Summit Racing carries the 750 Q-Jet also a good carb.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.