Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Carb lift plate OK on Vortec intake? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/carb-lift-plate-ok-vortec-intake-225531.html)

Silver Surfer 10-29-2012 02:02 PM

Carb lift plate OK on Vortec intake?

I got to looking at things after I got the intake (Edlebrock 7116) mounted to my factory Vortec heads. The intake has 8 bolts in total, but the bolts are all around the front and back of the intake, no bolts in the middle where the carb is located. I am concerned that using a carb lift plate to lift the motor back in the truck is going to warp the intake and cause leaks. Am I being paranoid?

1971BB427 10-29-2012 02:15 PM

Well I'd be more concerned with the 4 bolts that hold the carb to the intake, and those have always held for me. If 4 little 5/16" bolts will hold a motor, then I doubt the intake will move with eight 3/8" bolts. There's plenty of metal to keep it from warping, unless you hung it from the plate for years of storage.

timothale 10-29-2012 04:03 PM

Good threads ?

I've seen too many aluminum intakes with bad partially stripped holes. I have a box of various lift eyes and an adjustable crank type lift bar and I use all 4 chains. , Usually fasten the lift hooks, eyes, etc. to the heads, accessory monting holes with 4 3/8 bolts and washers, plenty of engagement and enough washers so you don't bend your bolts.

Jim Rockford 10-29-2012 07:17 PM

I have had an oberg tilt lift for years and I swear its the best tool I even bought for removing and installing engines..

The Oberg Tilt Lift - The Stricklin Companies

cobalt327 10-29-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer (Post 1604735)
I got to looking at things after I got the intake (Edlebrock 7116) mounted to my factory Vortec heads. The intake has 8 bolts in total, but the bolts are all around the front and back of the intake, no bolts in the middle where the carb is located. I am concerned that using a carb lift plate to lift the motor back in the truck is going to warp the intake and cause leaks. Am I being paranoid?

After I got a look at my Edelbrock Vortec intake and my 062 heads, I wondered the same thing. I decided against it, I'm going to use the lift brackets from an earlier SBC bolted to the accessory holes on the ends of the heads. Bolts and washers through a chain into the ends of the heads would work just as well, just don't use bolts that you are going to use elsewhere- they tend to get bent.

Custom10 10-30-2012 04:29 PM

Call me crazy,,,maybe

My edelbrock eps vortec (2716) on my 383 along with the 700R4 trans attached. All by the 1/4" flat steel intake plate and four grade 8 bolts, 6 latteral lines on the bolt head. Light torx on them 10 ft/lbs maybe

The picker would go just high enough to clear my rad support in the C10:sweat:

Not a problem, but enter at your own risk.