CARB problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

CARB problems

I just installed a Edlbrock Air Filter Kit on my 350 sb and now my carb making this kinda like popping noise when I give it some gas or go to get into it. Is it to much air flow or do I need to adjustment the carb to whereit can shoot the gas along with the air flow. AND HOW DO I DO THAT PLEASE... ANY HELP...

"TURBO 350 aka SUAVE"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Well first thing first what are you complete engine specs etc and what brand of carburetor are you using? If it runs fine while cruising and then if you step on it and it blows through the carb then it is most likely to lean and would need to be richen up some. If its a holley you would need to go up in jet size but if its an edelbrock carb or qjet you will have to change either metering rods or rods and jets both. It also might just be that your pump shot is not enough as well and you can adjust that before anything else to see how it does. Give more info and I'm sure more will post suggestions.
Eric
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Well its a qjet and I can be just cruisin and hit tha gas a lil it pops and does it tha same way when I'm reving it from under the hood.. and how would I adjust it or whateva
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUAVE16
I just installed a Edlbrock Air Filter Kit on my 350 sb and now my carb making this kinda like popping noise when I give it some gas or go to get into it. Is it to much air flow or do I need to adjustment the carb to whereit can shoot the gas along with the air flow. AND HOW DO I DO THAT PLEASE... ANY HELP...

"TURBO 350 aka SUAVE"
If it didn't do that with the original filter, do a test by putting it back on to see if the popping goes away. Sometimes you end up hearing something the engine was doing but couldn't be heard with the factory filter. Other times aftermarket filters disturb the entering air flow to a point where the carb is in a buffet condition that results with irregular fuel delivery.

In actuality the factory air filters aren't very pretty, don't look racy, but do a damn good job of smoothing and orientating the air flow into the carb's air horn. Over my many years at this I haven't found many aftermarket filter kits that worked very well. For the street it's mighty hard to beat a factory closed box with a K&N filter. A closed box so you can connect it to an outside air source that is cooler than the air found under the hood. You get almost a 1% power gain for every 10 degrees you take off the incoming air, the simplest way to do that is to access air from outside the engine room pulling it in next to the radiator behind the grill is a good place. If the factory air cleaner has an external heat riser where it pulls the air over the exhaust when the engine is cold this can be made into more improvements. If you live in a cold climate if you cool the intake by cutting off the exhaust crossover you'll get ice formation in the manifold and at the base of the carb. There is power to be found by shutting of the crossover, but along with that comes miserable cold weather running. If you take the hot air stove to the air cleaner intake and put an old choke control cable on its door so now you can open the door to admit hot air when the engine is cold to prevent ice formation with no crossover. Then close it when the engine warms up to maximize the temperature drop of the incoming mixture. Doesn't look cool but helps blow the other guys doors off.

Bogie
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM

i said i was gone put the stock air filter back on and see what tht does. and by the way its a 85' gmc sierra with a 350. so im going to try that and see what it does. thanks budddd

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.