carb questions holley or edelbrock? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
edelbrocks are terrible carbs.
These threads always degenerate into this......it's inevitable.

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

matter of prefrence. but I prefer Holley myself.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

cam

I would stick in a Lunati VooDoo 60103 cam & lifters, use the reccomended springs, port match your heads for your intake gaskets, put a 3310 750 single pump Holley on, run your timing on the low side but not real low, leave your Holley just like it is out of the box, put a fuel pressure regulator at the carb and run about 6lbs, slide in a 2800-3200 stahl and go out and have some fun! JM2C

Last edited by Camaro_Nut2001; 05-15-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention springs.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

if you think 600 bucks is expensive, you should just build model cars, because thats cheap compared to a built trans, and rearend, the things people dont think about when putting more power into a car. not to mention brakes and suspension work. if i were you, i would leave the engine alone and build another engine. piece by piece when the money allows.

EDELBROCK ARE ****TY CARBS for peformance... i drive my cars hard and edels do not fit my bill, but for the person that drives their car like a grandma, THERE PERFECT!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM

i drive my truck real damn hard, built for straight out mud bogging, has 400 pounds of tires on the rearend to swing alone. and i can roast em on dry pavement.

i dont give a **** what anybody says, edelbrock is a damn good carb,im not saying holleys dont work good, im just saying theyre a nuisance.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

Edelbrocks run pretty good right out of the box, but if it needs any tuning, it will be much faster/ easier to tune in a Holley.. generally, Holley's do need tuning, but hardly a nusience

Edelbrocks can give better road manners, and even some gain in MPG, but at a cost of performance
Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Edelbrocks run pretty good right out of the box, but if it needs any tuning, it will be much faster/ easier to tune in a Holley.. generally, Holley's do need tuning, but hardly a nusience

Edelbrocks can give better road manners, and even some gain in MPG, but at a cost of performance
Ya so you tune a holley to that performance then tomorrow another and so on and so on. I found I could diddle the one on my charger till it would turn the hoosier like wild, then oh oh wanta take momma to the DQ. Not so fast man, time to diddle. Too much diddle not as much drive. They're like the skidoos we had in the early 60's. Every 3 hours of fiddling gets you up and going for ten minutes of running
Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0trod389
if you think 600 bucks is expensive, you should just build model cars, because thats cheap compared to a built trans, and rearend, the things people dont think about when putting more power into a car. not to mention brakes and suspension work. if i were you, i would leave the engine alone and build another engine. piece by piece when the money allows.

EDELBROCK ARE ****TY CARBS for peformance... i drive my cars hard and edels do not fit my bill, but for the person that drives their car like a grandma, THERE PERFECT!
X2 on that
Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Hot Rodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooper
Ya so you tune a holley to that performance then tomorrow another and so on and so on. I found I could diddle the one on my charger till it would turn the hoosier like wild, then oh oh wanta take momma to the DQ. Not so fast man, time to diddle. Too much diddle not as much drive. They're like the skidoos we had in the early 60's. Every 3 hours of fiddling gets you up and going for ten minutes of running
That's what hot rodding is all about, having fun playing with your cars & trucks. I run nothing but Holly carbs and I don't have to tune them very much at all after the first tune. I do build my carbs a little different than what books say but I love them, 3310 or 4777 all the way.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Well here is my experience. I have a 350 chevy making close to 400 horses and I first used the Edelbrock 600 performer carburetor and it was fine for regular use and driving. It was lean for my engine so I got a tuning kit and kept messing around with it to richen it up and got it close.

I then went and read up on Holley carb's and learned how they work and how to tune them for different setups. I got a SA design book on Holley carburetors and it has many good tips on tuning. I read and did a lot of research on Holley's and how to tune them etc. I finally went and got a holley carb which was a holley 670 aluminum street avenger. Too much history to list here but anyways it had quality control issues out of the box. Sent it back and ended up with a brand new Holley 600 1850 s 4160 style carburetor. It was lean to start off with so I jetted it up and did the fine tuning with it and it gives way better throttle response then the edelbrock and out performs it all around all together. Now the fuel mileage was slightly better with the edelbrock but not by much.

I recently went on a hundred plus mile round trip and cruising down the interstate at 65 70 mph I got about 17 mpg and could of got 18 mpg if I stayed at 55 mph. Holley's are nicer and easier to fine tune in my opinion and the edelbrock's are fairly easy to tune as well with a calibration kit. If you got a stock type motor or just a mild cam with 220@ 50 or less the Edelbrock will work well. If you get anything bigger cam wise then you should consider a Holley carb as they will tune better with bigger cams so you can really fine tune better.

There is no perfect carburetor. Holley has pros and cons just like Edelbrock does. I would recommend the holley 1850s 4160 for 245 bucks from summit if you can swing it. I myself and my Dad and Brother all are using one and love them. My Dad is using one on a ford 302 and my brother a chevy 305.

Hope that might help you out some. Don't make a quick decision read up on Holley and Edelbrock and then make a choice. Just go with 600 cfm carb and that will give you better bottom end then a much bigger carb.
Take care
Eric
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 AM

let me get this straight. if a fella hooks up an A/F to his exhaust w/gauge on dash and he's pulling down ideal A/F, does it matter if it comming via eddy,holley or a little monkey sitting on the fender squirting the fuel in. A/F ratio is A/F ratio,is it not?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

yes and no.. the fuel metering in a Holley can give a better throttle response, and the fuel metering from a Edelbrock can give better mpg.. there is no perfect A/F ratio. it's constantly changing, and because the way the carbs work diffrent, they will change in diffrent ways.. Both Holley and Carter AFB/ AVS ( now Edelbrock ) were used in the OEM. so both have good points and bad points
Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Iv got some holley's and some eldebrock's aswell too, they both are good carbs, to me eldebrocks are easier to mess with, but out of the box lets say a eldebrock vs holley, for power the holley will be the best, for the street the eldebrock is way better than factory!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

OK, Ill be the "bad guy". It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta' do it..........

QUADRA-JET

There, I said it and I'm glad I tell you! I'm glad!!!! (Insert maniacal laughter).

If you have never tuned a carb before though I suggest starting with a Holley or Edelbrock. Tuning Q'Jets is not for beginners unless they have a VERY good friend that will show them the ropes and two very valuable books. Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe and Rochester QuadraJet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles. They are a very sophisticated piece of equipment and can be a royal PITA at first but once you get one dialed in it's worth every second you spent getting it there. Once you learn your way around one though you'll be hooked.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
OK, Ill be the "bad guy". It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta' do it..........

QUADRA-JET

There, I said it and I'm glad I tell you! I'm glad!!!! (Insert maniacal laughter).

If you have never tuned a carb before though I suggest starting with a Holley or Edelbrock. Tuning Q'Jets is not for beginners unless they have a VERY good friend that will show them the ropes and two very valuable books. Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe and Rochester QuadraJet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles. They are a very sophisticated piece of equipment and can be a royal PITA at first but once you get one dialed in it's worth every second you spent getting it there. Once you learn your way around one though you'll be hooked.

I AGREE 100% QUADRAJUNKS may have a bad rep. but if you built it RIGHT. and make it not leak, they are THE best all around STREET/STRIP carb.
little tiny primarys lets you va-jj foot it around when cruzin, and a monster supply of fuel when you W.O.T.

QUESTION...is there a square bore quadrajunk? never seen one

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.