Carb recommendation for a 460 Ford....... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Carb recommendation for a 460 Ford.......

I need a good recommendation far a carb on a Ford 460 engine. The engine is out of a 77 Lincoln Mark V and is going into a 78 F250 with a 4 speed trans. The motor is all stock with 8:0-8:5 compression, except for the double roller timing chain I put in at zero degrees up. The 460 has to only turn a alternator and a power steering pump, this is two less accessories to turn when it was in the Lincoln. I live at a elevation of 5500 feet and don't need as much cfm as per say sea level. The truck is going to be pulling a twin axle 18" flatbed trailer everyday around town(work truck). I would like to get the best milage possible but on the other hand I will need the power at times. The stock carb was a 600 cfm Ford Motorcraft 4350 four barrel spread bore carb(junk). I have a adapter plate to fits a standard four barrel Holley or Edelbrock carb on the stock spread bore intake. I was thinking maybe a 650 vac sec Holley with a electric choke or would a 750 Holley or Edelbrock be better or too much? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

my grandfather has a rv with a 460 in it and it has a holley 650 on it from the factory (it said on the bowl "manufactured by holley for ford")it was a single pumper with a wierd manifold heated choke.But if u run a bigger carb you might get more power

but if its stock i wouldnt go any bigger than a 750cfm,because everyone knows 460 heads dont flow too well
Old 12-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

For the intended use the 650cfm will be fine..have run that combo on a 460 and it worked well..

Sam
Old 12-28-2006, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

If you're after economy, torque and power to suit a spreadbore manifold why not a q-jet? Should you get one off a late 70s c20 454 I reckon the jetting and needles would be nigh on perfect ( 455 BOP would work also).
Sometimes people fit a small carb to a large engine to get torque and economy which does work, but you must check the application the carb was designed for - a 302 uses smaller idle passages and acc circuit than a 460 so it's hard to make the same carb work down low on both when they may work fine at 1/2 or wot. Same goes for different compression ratios or rod to stroke ratios. A low comp engine has less air speed and therefore poor carb 'signal' same for a long rod engine so they needa greater restriction (small carb) too work.
My first choice would be a q-jet on a spreadbore then a 750 (3310) vac holley on a small runner dual plane.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRiordan

If you're after economy, torque and power to suit a spreadbore manifold why not a q-jet?

My first choice would be a q-jet on a spreadbore then a 750 (3310) vac holley on a small runner dual plane.

To fit a QUADRA-JUNK onto the stock manifold would be most difficult (sets atop an EGR plate). Of all the carb options out there, a Q-JET would be my last choice. Leave that stuff for the BOWTIE BOYS...
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 AM

Last photo:

What carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I need a good recommendation far a carb on a Ford 460 engine. The engine is out of a 77 Lincoln Mark V and is going into a 78 F250 with a 4 speed trans. The motor is all stock with 8:0-8:5 compression, except for the double roller timing chain I put in at zero degrees up. The 460 has to only turn a alternator and a power steering pump, this is two less accessories to turn when it was in the Lincoln. I live at a elevation of 5500 feet and don't need as much cfm as per say sea level. The truck is going to be pulling a twin axle 18" flatbed trailer everyday around town(work truck). I would like to get the best milage possible but on the other hand I will need the power at times. The stock carb was a 600 cfm Ford Motorcraft 4350 four barrel spread bore carb(junk). I have a adapter plate to fits a standard four barrel Holley or Edelbrock carb on the stock spread bore intake. I was thinking maybe a 650 vac sec Holley with a electric choke or would a 750 Holley or Edelbrock be better or too much? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have a '72 F350 dually that I put a 460 '77 Lincoln engine in. It works fine with the 5-speed O/D trans from a '90 something F250 diesel. I have Hedman headers, 3/4 race cam,Edelbrock intake and carb and MSD ignition. At first I put a 750 Edelbrock carb on it, after driving it a while I relaced that carb with a 600 Edelbrock. I have rejetted the carb for 4800 ft. elevation and am happy with the way it runs now and it has plenty power! The electric choke works good and makes it nice on these cold mornings. I sometimes haul my trailer with a 5000 lb. Bobcat. Those old 460's have so much torque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DumpTruck 007.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	17209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DumpTruck 005.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	17210  
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

I really don't want to try to adapt a Quadrajet to my 460, it would be too much work and time adapting it to my 460. I even had one about 6 months ago, it came off my dads 400 sb Chevy, sold it on Ebay, didn't need it. There is no way I am going to put that Motorcrap 4350 back on the motor, the only thing it would do is idle. I didn't think a 750cfm carb would be all that great on my 460, I will most likely get a 650cfm Holley for it. I also like the idea about installing a 5 speed in my truck, that would help quite a bit on the fuel mileage.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

The problem with putting a small Holley carb on a big engine is air flow requirements at idle. If the front throttle blades are opened too far to allow enough air in at idle, it will put the carb into the main circuit. This will make it run very rich at idle and the air/fuel mixture screws will not do anything. However, this problem can be solved by opening the rear secondary throttle plates a little bit with the secondary plate stop adjustment screw that is under the carb. Open the rear plates slightly until there is no vacuum on the ported vacuum source. Of course, since the secondary plate adjustment screw is under the carb, you will need a few carb removal and re-install jobs to get it adjusted right.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

650 is smaller than what Id pick. Id use a 725-750 vac. sec. of your choice. i Prefer holley or Demon personally.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

600 - 650CFM is plenty big

I had a '79 F350/460 and thought I was doing myself a power favor when I took the original Holley of the truck and put an early 3310, 780CFM Holley on it before a cross country trip hauling an 8000 pound 5th wheel camper. It did kinda OK except for much worse gas mileage until I got to the Colorado mountains where it went from kinda OK performance and worse gas mileage to horrendous in both cases. Too much venturi with not enough atmospheric pressure which equals no atomization and raw gas and a diesel looking exhaust. I fiddled with float settings, squirters, jets, springs, accelerator pump settings and it still ran crappy. When I got home, back went the original carb - which is about a 575CFM unit. Eventually I installed an extra Edelbrock 600 CFM that i had - and it was the magic bullet once I got the settings correct - pulled the camper well, and got acceptable gas mileage in all cases.
This is the original which I still have (it's for sale-cheap)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79-460-1.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	17211   Click image for larger version

Name:	'79-460 HLY.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	17212  
Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Your engine is stock.
Hopefully your timing chain upgrade eliminates the factory 8* retard. That helps a lot. I bought a new 460 back then and put in a 71 timing gear. Felt like 20 more across the board.

Using all the formulas for carbs, a 600 is plenty. You will rarely ever exceed 4500 rpm. The valve springs are probably done at 4500 anyway.

I recommend a vacuum or air valve secondary.
I prefer an Edelbrock/Carter for ease of tuning and lack of body leaks. The AVS is easily adjustable. I think that they still market a spreadbore, but not sure. Don't open the secondary too easily and too soon. Ditch the EGR stuff and use good headers.

Improperly tuned, any carb will be disappointing. If you don't have someone who can tune and adjust whatever you choose, you are just going to join the club of "that carb is crap, so I bought a xxx".

Been there, done that.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What he said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Your engine is stock.
Hopefully your timing chain upgrade eliminates the factory 8* retard. That helps a lot. I bought a new 460 back then and put in a 71 timing gear. Felt like 20 more across the board.

Using all the formulas for carbs, a 600 is plenty. You will rarely ever exceed 4500 rpm. The valve springs are probably done at 4500 anyway.

I recommend a vacuum or air valve secondary.
I prefer an Edelbrock/Carter for ease of tuning and lack of body leaks. The AVS is easily adjustable. I think that they still market a spreadbore, but not sure. Don't open the secondary too easily and too soon. Ditch the EGR stuff and use good headers.

Improperly tuned, any carb will be disappointing. If you don't have someone who can tune and adjust whatever you choose, you are just going to join the club of "that carb is crap, so I bought a xxx".

Been there, done that.
Just call Edelbrock and get the part number for the direct bolt on replacement..Actually there may not be a whole lot wrong with the motorcraft you have that could not be cured with some TLC by someone who knows what they are about...

Sam
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

To fit a QUADRA-JUNK onto the stock manifold would be most difficult (sets atop an EGR plate). Of all the carb options out there, a Q-JET would be my last choice. Leave that stuff for the BOWTIE BOYS...

I agree, leave the Quadra "Junks" to the Bowtie Boys, we don't like to share the good stuff.

Seriously my kid has a '78 F150 4 X 4 with a 460 out of who knows what with a C-6. It's a cobbled together abortion I not so affectionately call the "Exxon Valdez" due to the rather large oil slick in my driveway........ It has headers, who only knows what for gears and 35" mud tires but the old slug actually runs pretty good and pulled a car trailer pretty well, it has an Edelbrock 625 on it now in place of the well violated 600 Holley it had on it when he bought the thing and it seems to like it.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

xntrik, I bought a Ford Motorsport double roller chain for this 460, it has 2, 4, 6, 8 degrees in retard and 0, 2,4,6,8 degrees for advance. To advance the stock cam 8 degrees, do I set it at 0 or do I set it at 8 degrees advance?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
xntrik, I bought a Ford Motorsport double roller chain for this 460, it has 2, 4, 6, 8 degrees in retard and 0, 2,4,6,8 degrees for advance. To advance the stock cam 8 degrees, do I set it at 0 or do I set it at 8 degrees advance?
The Ford smog engines of the mid 70s had the cams retarded 8* from what the 70-71s were. We know that advancing the cam enhances cylinder filling and low/mid range torque, so getting my 460 4bbl. back to zero was a big help in 78.
BUUUUT in truth there was minimal power difference from the 73 400 in the identical vehicle, and the 460 got 2 mpg less.

Degreeing would be the best. In lieu I think zero is probably correct. I would go to 2* advance to allow for some wear and stretch.

I have done 460s since, but nothing with a stock cam. If you really want to pep it up, CompCams has a really good 4x4 grind that really helps across the board. Always use the cam manufacturer's valve springs and lifters.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.