Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carb set up help.
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
With such a mild cam and more initial I hope I will be OK running on the primary idle circuit and leaving the secondary closed up?

This is wrong. The holley carb idles using both the primary and seconday throttles.
It idles on all 4 barrels at once.

set it up so all 4 are even. You want even "4 corner idle" Thats the beauti of a holley. Don;t fugg it up by closing the sec throttles at idle.
That is not how a holley works. Don't shoot your self in the foot.

From that point the idle speed is fine adjusted by base idle timing, PCV system air flow (PCV valve choice) and fine adjustment of the throttle(S) position at idle.
Closed sec throttles will create the primarys to be too far open.
You want balanced 4 corner flow at idle.

recurve the distributor after you find the best idle timing, throttle position
PCV flow balance.
The throttles ALL 4 throttles must be in the sweet spot at idle for the idle and idle transition to work correctly and smoothly.

99% of the holley problems are tuner error, not carb design problems
That goes equal for Qjets and Edelbrocks too.

Q jets and edelbrocks are different.
Well there's something else I learned today, I was always under the impression you only used the secondary idle circuit if it was needed. Before I install it I will adjust accordingly. Thanks! I replaced the needle and seats today just because these were unknown and i had new ones in stock, I also have a multitude of pv's, should i replace and what size would u suggest?