Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

carb spacer

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  xxllmm4 
#1 ·
I have a Air Gap intake and a Holly Street avenger Carb on a Small block 400 in a 1968 camaro. My question is there enough room for me to put a 2" carb spacer with a 2" cowl induction hood. There must be someone out there that has tried this with all the camaro owners out there.

#8 ·
I have a Speed Demon on an 2" spacer on an Airgap, but I´m using a four inch cowl hood
as my four inch tall K/N filter has the K/N filter lid on it.
If the hood was too close to the filter lid it would defeat it´s purpose.

Slap your hood back on with the four bolts and do the clearance check with plasticine, putty.....whatever.

#13 · (Edited)
Those air cleaner lids are ok in a sealed scoop situation! (Air cleaner sealed so no air can escape under or around the air cleaner) once the rushing air enters the scoop creating a forced air boost and a cool charge! But if not sealed the rushing air creates a low pressure area around the air cleaner when it rushes out the bottom of the scoop pulling air away from the air cleaner

On cowl induction if the cowl scoop isn't sealed: the in rushing air into the engine compartment through the grill and the cooling fan and under the car can cause air pressure that over powers the cold air coming off your window in the cowl area into the scoop and actually be blowing hot engine compartment air out the scoop inlet the faster you go the worse the condition! now your cowl scoop is acting like a vent expelling hot air and not bringing in cool air!

The other problem about cowl hoods that are not sealed to the intake is they act like para shoots at speed! once the air pressure under the hood is greater then the pressure entering the scoop and over powers the scoop openings ability to exhaust this extra pressure your front end begins to lift !!!!

They look cool and ones going on my wife Comaro LOL But sealed

Jester: By the way really nice Camaro:thumbup:

#12 ·
in my bucket i don't have a clearance problem.... sorry i have no idea bout your camero... but was wondering... i have the same set-up, airgap and edelbrock 600.. does it make a diff if u use the spacer ?????
The air gaps are designed for ultimate street performance (thats the claim any way) but adding the spacer defeats the whole design it creates a little more ram effect at high rpm but the rpm you would have to turn to show any measurable benefit is beyond the intakes design unless you run a bigger cam and then again your changing what the rpm intake was designed for negating any gain in performance. About the only thing I think your accomplishing is raising the carb up to make it look neet to novices The other thing your doing is opening up yourself to a reversion problem that you may never know you have reducing some of your H.P. If you need the spacer plate you chose the wrong intake> I hope I helped:D and you'll probably get a lot of posts now how wrong I am but thats just my opinion!

Spacers on different designed intakes is a different story you can tune with spacer 4" 2" 1" 4 hole or open but those intakes are designed for full throttle blasts and not designed for street performance!

Jester:thumbup:

#10 ·
re DUH
If you need a 2 inch spacer then you have the wrong intake manifold,that top flow air filter rarely makes more power than a standard solid top filter.(I dyno tested my car with the filter you are using,you can have the top for free)The street avenger carb is not their best carb in the holley line up!

#16 ·
The other problem about cowl hoods that are not sealed to the intake is they act like para shoots at speed! once the air pressure under the hood is greater then the pressure entering the scoop and over powers the scoop openings ability to exhaust this extra pressure your front end begins to lift !!!!
This is the underside of my hood, the filter fits pretty tight.
I´ve hung paper on the cowl inlet and air goes in there at all speeds, the paper gets sucked to the cowl.

I´m pretty happy with my setup, it´s taken awhile to get to where it is.
I forgot to say in my previous post adding a spacer to the Performer Airgap helps by adding plenum volume and giving both sides of the motor access to the carb.

#17 ·
This is the underside of my hood, the filter fits pretty tight.
I´ve hung paper on the cowl inlet and air goes in there at all speeds, the paper gets sucked to the cowl.

I´m pretty happy with my setup, it´s taken awhile to get to where it is.
I forgot to say in my previous post adding a spacer to the Performer Airgap helps by adding plenum volume and giving both sides of the motor access to the carb.
Sorry I wasn't implying your scoop wasn't sealed I hope it didn't read like that!

I used to use knitting yarn To Find placement of front facing scoops I taped it to the front of the hood and and on doll rods that came above the hood 1' high and 2' high as speed picked up the yarn would follow the air flow over the body! and you could see ware to place the scoop!

I forget about the open spacer giving cylinders access to full cfm from both sides of the carb on a true dual plane without being notched in the devider ( I just posted that the other day and forgot to include it here) thanks for pointing that out! LOL:confused: Thats what happens when you age a little:D

Jester

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.