Hot Rod Forum banner

Carb spacer

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  camaroman7d 
#1 ·
I've been having issues with the fuel boiling out of my carb bowls and am thinking about purchasing a 1/2 inch phenolic spacer. It's my understanding that it minimises the heat transfer between the intake and carb. Does anyone else have one? Does it work? How will it effect performance?

#3 ·
I fabricated a 4 hole spacer from some scrap wood (used an aluminum flat from a heat diffuser as a template). It definitely cured my fuel boiling problems but otherwise made no difference in ET, mph, or seat of the pants feel. I get a lot of comments on it (at the track) because nobody seems to think that wood will work for a spacer, even though I've seen them in Jegs and Summit catalogs.

#4 ·
Yes, phenolic spacers work. Let me guess you are running a Weiand Stealth manifold?

If so they are great manifolds they just transfer heat to the carb. I have fixed several cars by adding a phenolic spacer, that were running Stealth intakes.

In any case if your carb is getting hot enough to perculate I would add the spacer.

Royce

#6 ·
If the engine thinks it's under carbed, an open spacer will make the carb look a little larger. If it's a dual plane intake with a full divider, the 4 hole is better, as an open spacer will screw with the basic design parameters of the intake. 4 holers tend to help the carb signal, so if it's a bit overcarbed, a 1" or 2" spacer can help the low end. BUT - it's just like timing. This engine will like X and the almost same engine over there will like Y. You just have to try things and look at the ET slips or dyno printout.

#7 ·
86 Stang GT,
You pretty much nailed it. It really depends on the engine. Every combo seems to want something different. A carb spacer typically will not make a huge difference in performance, they can be used as a "tuning" aid to help adjust your powerband up or down slightly. If it make a huge difference you probably have the wrong intake or carb for your engine.

batman09,
The 1" 4 -hole spacer seems to work well with the Stealths. The main reason to run the phenolic spacer with a Stealth is to keep the heat out of the carb. It will dramatically help with hot starts.

Royce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.