Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carb Spacer Discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Caprice57
I figured I'd start a thread discussing the different types of carb spacers out there. I currently run the 1in edelbrock Phenolic black plastic style with my Holley Commander 950 TBI setup. I was wondering what effects all the different styles have? Ive seen the open style, the 4 hole style, and the 4 hole tapered style. Are there pro's and cons to each? If I were basing price to match what might be best - it seems that 4 hole tapered costs the most.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this was.
Too a large extent it's a tuning device, some engines respond to them some do not, some require extensive retuning to find anything.

If you get an immediate positive response it usually means there was a tuning problem which the extra plenum volume helped solve or hide.

Nothing against their use but expect a cut and try. I do think the cost of these things is outrageous. Most designs you see can be duplicated at home with a chunk of plastic or aluminum, a hole saw, electric drill, some files, a die grinder and cutters, and a saber saw for a lot less money and a little sweat equity. But then I come from a generation that had to make parts rather than buy them 'cause they weren't available to buy. So my money went into tools and machines to make parts.

Bogie