Carb spacers part 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: Photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carb spacers part 2

Found some good Slee posts from last year on carb spacers. But I have two interesting questions. Re: notched squarebore dual planes (rpm air-gap). If I use a divided spacer, which would work better? To fill in the manifold notch and re-notch the spacers divider so it stays up at the top? What about the manifolds notch when a 4 hole spacer is used? It'd be sitting down 2" down. I wonder if a notch with a 2" spacer is creating a problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

On a 180 degree intake the notch equalizes vacuum pulses between the 2 sides of the plenum! its needed to create equal mixture between the 2 sides. (simple explanation) But why install the spacer are you trying to compensate for getting the wrong intake? It was designed to operate at a certain RPM range. The only problem I ever saw in these intakes was carb venturies
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

On a 180 degree intake the notch equalizes vacuum pulses between the 2 sides of the plenum! its needed to create equal mixture between the 2 sides. (simple explanation) But why install the spacer are you trying to compensate for getting the wrong intake? It was designed to operate at a certain RPM range. The only problem I ever saw in these intakes was carb venturie's frosting in this northern climate even on cool summer early mornings !

Jester

I hit the wrong button & sent this early sorry about that!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Reason is to implement my sealed cold air intake system to the cowl hood. I tried to extend the air cleaner with a stack before and ran into low pressure level problems. Anyway it may help a little as an added feature in throttle response, etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede
Reason is to implement my sealed cold air intake system to the cowl hood. I tried to extend the air cleaner with a stack before and ran into low pressure level problems. Anyway it may help a little as an added feature in throttle response, etc.
The notch shouldn't matter with short spacers but the taller the spacer the further the intake air and fuel has to travel to reach the cylinders and creates a hesitation when throttle is applied. it also has a tendency to cause a reversion of the incoming fuel air mixture from the carb hitting the air fuel mixture in the intake and bouncing back ( simple explanation). the 4 hole spacer alleviates a lot of reversion problems and keeps the velocity of the incoming charge up and a better fuel air mixture.

Can you make an air box coming off the carb that will seal to your hood with your air cleaner mounted inside it?

Jester
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

hi jester. I just made a sheetmetal tube that goes from the carb to the air cleaner base. Its about 3" tall. I just went from a 3" tall filter to a 4" in case that was a supply problem. I can see the filter now from the drivers seat. Its only a 2" cowl. The factory perforations on the hood were really a limitation also so I cut them out and installed window screen. Anyway, I wonder if that stack tube I made will cause any flow/pressure problems. I think a V-shaped one would work better, but I don't know. I took the carb spacer out.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede
hi jester. I just made a sheetmetal tube that goes from the carb to the air cleaner base. Its about 3" tall. I just went from a 3" tall filter to a 4" in case that was a supply problem. I can see the filter now from the drivers seat. Its only a 2" cowl. The factory perforations on the hood were really a limitation also so I cut them out and installed window screen. Anyway, I wonder if that stack tube I made will cause any flow/pressure problems. I think a V-shaped one would work better, but I don't know. I took the carb spacer out.
Years ago to place a scoop or air induction we used to tape light yarn to the hood and windshield and at speed see what the air column was doing. A lot of scoops actually are installed wrong and the air column flows away creating a low pressure area around the scoop. You might look silly with yarn on your car going down the road LOL but you dont have an air tunnel and smoke!

Jester

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.