Carb Starter fluid?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb Starter fluid?!

Hey does anybody know if I could use RC car Nitro Fuel as an alternative to Carb starter spray? Im a little short on cash and really need to use an alternative to get my chainsaw started!! please any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

In spite of the starting fluid cans being labeled for all gas engines and some of them even suggesting use in a two stroke using starting fluid in a two stroke engine can be a really bad idea, especially a chainsaw. When you consider how a two stroke is lubed it gets kind of scary thinking about raw either, or any strong solvent, being sucked into the crankcase where it will wash away what little lube is sticking to the crank/rod bearings and especially the cylinder walls. It's not all that bad IF the crankcase is awash in fuel such as might happen if it is flooded but if the start problem is due (even in part) to fuel starvation such as a clogged line etc, which is very common, it could be a disaster! If that thing starts on the starting fluid and is starved for fuel it not only will not have any lube going to it but it will wash away what little is still there. I know people will tell you they do it all the time but that does not mean their engine is not suffering excessive wear even if it does not seize up immediately, if you do use either do so sparingly and never keep spraying it into the carburetor to keep a balky engine running, that can destroy a two stroke PDQ! Personally I would never use starting fluid at all in a chainsaw or weed trimmer, if it's hard to start fixing the problem is a lot better and cheaper than scoring the rotating assembly and scored up cylinder walls which is exactly what starting fluid can do to your chainsaw.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
In spite of the starting fluid can destroy a two stroke PDQ! Personally I would never use starting fluid at all in a chainsaw or weed trimmer, if it's hard to start fixing the problem is a lot better and cheaper than scoring the rotating assembly and scored up cylinder walls which is exactly what starting fluid can do to your chainsaw.

X2 With oldred.

Cole
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

I understand what Oldred is saying here and it's a valid point, but while reading it, I was thinking "carb cleaner" not "starting fluid". Starting fluid is basically diethyl ether which is a form of a gas and evaporates quickly and really doesn't have any strong ability to dilute grease or lubricant. Furthermore, you're only using a small blast and hopefully not spraying large amounts to try and kick start an engine over. I have for several years used starting fluid on my lawn mower, and gardening tools especially after sitting for a while without a problem, and they are two stroke as well. Once it starts, if it starts, you can then see whether fuel delivery is a problem or not and repair it. As far as money or cost, Starting fluid is cheap. I get the $1.30 a can stuff from Wal Mart. Works great...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

I have used WD-40,,,,,, it helps raise the compression a little and busts it right off.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

R/C Car Nitro

AND....

I think you will find that the chainsaw engine will be a lot HARDER to start on the R/C car nitro fuel, not easier. It doesn't vaporize as well as gasoline, although it does have lubricant built in
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I use a squirt oil can filled with mix gas if I need to prime a 2 stroke
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNTGreg
I have used WD-40,,,,,, it helps raise the compression a little and busts it right off.
WD-40 works great, it uses propane for the propellant, so thats whats starting the engine, but the lube keeps things slippery
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
WD-40 works great, it uses propane for the propellant, so thats whats starting the engine, but the lube keeps things slippery
X2 ...Good recommendation
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
I understand what Oldred is saying here and it's a valid point, but while reading it, I was thinking "carb cleaner" not "starting fluid". Starting fluid is basically diethyl ether which is a form of a gas and evaporates quickly and really doesn't have any strong ability to dilute grease or lubricant. Furthermore, you're only using a small blast and hopefully not spraying large amounts to try and kick start an engine over. I have for several years used starting fluid on my lawn mower, and gardening tools especially after sitting for a while without a problem, and they are two stroke as well. Once it starts, if it starts, you can then see whether fuel delivery is a problem or not and repair it. As far as money or cost, Starting fluid is cheap. I get the $1.30 a can stuff from Wal Mart. Works great...

The either will strip away oil and it does it almost instantly, the cylinder walls suffer damage first and a chain saw or other small two stroke that has been "eithered" as we referred to it almost always will have tell-tale scuff marks on the walls and piston skirts. If there is ample fuel mix going in with the starting fluid then damage will be minimized but that is a big risk because the no-start may be due to fuel starvation which will almost guarantee cylinder damage if it starts on the fluid. There is precious little lube mixed with the fuel and start-up would depend on residual lube remaining on the surfaces when starting with starting fluids, this extremely thin film would be washed away almost instantly and if the engine starts it not only does so without any lube arriving in the fuel (in this case either) but the fuel would destroy what little lube is left. On something like a chainsaw or weed trimmer engine the carburetor/intake is situated in such a way and in such close proximity to the crank/rod and cylinder surfaces that starting fluid will enter the engine as a mist and it will wet the surfaces to strip away any residual lube, I have actually seen the muffler wet from raw starting fluid after only a couple of squirts of starting fluid. When either is sprayed into a small cold Aluminum engine it does very little in the way of evaporation and certainly does enter as a fluid/mist that will wash away the lube. People do sometimes "either" a two stroke but it is still a really bad idea and it most likely does some damage even if the engine does not seize at the time which they have been known to do.

Yes WD40 does work and although it technically is more of a solvent than a lube it will provide some lube to the engine parts and would not be nearly as harmful as either. I have seen WD40 used in large diesel engines as a starting aid and it even works for that. The easiest way I have found to start a balky chainsaw is to use a squirt can with gas mix (yep Matt beat me to that!) but NEVER raw unmixed fuel! As long as the spark plug is not wet it is hard to flood a two stroke and most benefit from a generous squirt or two gas mix directly into the carburetor intake, this also provides ample lube for the start-up.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.