Carb to TPI on a 72 SBC 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 06:10 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carb to TPI on a 72 SBC 350

I just finished the final tuning of the TPI I installed on my Buds 72 350 Chevy powered pickup with a 700R4. Some back ground: it had a Carter Q jet, nice big valve heads, a 700R4 that used the Painless Wiring converter control, and Dual Flow Master Series 40 with an H pipe. We now have a easy starting, smooth running, more seat of the pants power and more fuel economy. One side benefit that I would like someone to explain is the very disturbing exhaust resonance we had with the carb set up is GONE!!! Go figure.

We canned the hard ware from an 88 Camaro, including the wiring harness for reference. I ordered the Painless wiring harness for the MAP so we could eliminate the Mass Air Flow sensory in the front. We pulled the MAP sensor and computer from a 93 Chevy V-6. I replaced the Coolant Temp sensor, O2 Sensor, oil pressure switch, and Knock Sensor and bought a Carter 5000 in line fuel pump. The other sensors appeared to be good and have checked out fine so far. I found the Painless Installation Instructions to be complete and straight forward. The biggest problem was X ing out all the stuff not needed since it was generic for Throttle body, MAF and MAP as well as with and with out polutition control. We had to mill a few parts to provide a "factory" look. It was very satisfying to have it fire right up one the first attempt. We had to shut down for a minor fuel leak because I had not applied enough torque to one of the high pressure fuel fittings. To regress, I had a local hacker reprogram the 93 chip to give about 4 more degrees of global spark advance and erase all the polution controll junk as well as the VATS portion. He smoothed out the fuel and spark curves also. It is about the same as the old "Hot Chip". Tomorrow, I will take about a 60 mile trip to see how much the fuel economy has improved.

We were able to get this done for less than $600. Now I am ready to tackle the 327 in my 36 Coupe!!!

Trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 11:41 PM

quick question

this may seen like a wierd question but why did you trash the maf for a map..the reason i ask is due to the fact of preformance the vac can alter and make the ecm angree when the maf seened to be the choice i have had for that issue..i am courious due to the fact i may go to a tpi on my impala
Old 10-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I cant speak for trees but I can think of a few reasons. One being that replacing a MAP sensor can be significantly less than having to replace a MAF. Another reason is that you can rid of the ducting and the sensor itself for physical fitment as well as appearance (they look wicked with a nice big filter on the end of the throttle body).

When they switched to a MAP sensor they also did away with the ESC (Electronic Spark control) module as well, again simplifying things somewhat.

It is argued about which setup is better. MAF are more affected by vaccum leaks but less affected by overall engine vaccum. It sounds like a wierd concept but from my experience seems to be true. MAF systems are also a bit more accurate with the incoming air reading whereas the MAP system calculates air based on engine vaccum. I personally prefer a MAF setup as that is what I am most familiar with but Im sure someone should chime in with the reasons they like the MAP setup more.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Primary reason to get rid of the MAF was the room at the frunt (Ducting as mentioned above). Second reason is reliability of Speed Density system over Mass Air Flow system. The big boys changed over for a reason, maybe because of the big difference in cost of a MAF sensor and the MAP sensor.

Trees
Old 10-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Speed density is better than MAF because of the fact that air volume can better be calculated with MAT taken into account. MAF is older technology. I could be wrong, but I think that all the oems now use speed density.

Trees, that is great that you got it all together and running. I have thought about doing one of these on my 57 but with a Genboard so I can tune it myself. Sounds like your build went smooth.

Chris
Old 10-02-2004, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Kevin, after what you have gone thru with your Turbo, this is a cake walk. Get after the 57 cause I am interested in how the Genboard turns out. I'm still looking for a easy, reliable system to put in the coupe. Right now I'm leaning toward the tune port with the small distributor. I want to feel comfortable doing it without pulling off the front end!!!

Trees
Old 10-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Actually many manufacturers nowdays use both a MAF and MAP sensor. I guess they figured it would be best to combine them and have the computer compare readings.

As far as I understand it, MAF more accurately read incoming air however since these systems dont calculate vaccum, leaks can cause them more problems than the MAP setup which will adjust fuel based on Manifold pressure.

I know later year Camaro's (1997 and up) as well as the Corvettes (and probably any of the later LT1/LT4 induction systesm) use both a MAF sensor and a MAP sensor.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I am not sure what the combination is used for, but it could vary well be a comparison. I would bet, however, that they are using a blend of the two for fuel calcs. A common practice on engines with fat cams is to use MAF for idle tuning and then transistion to speed density for power tuning, but I cant see why the oems would need this.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.