carb or tranny? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

carb or tranny?

I just had my tranny rebuilt its a 700 r4. I seem to have a hesitation I dont get higher rpm's or anything just a boggy like sound and not alot of go go. This occurs at a fairly mild throttle ans is noticed mostly in the 30 ish mph range. Almost like starving for fuel or air. The car is a 88 caprice with a sbc 350 and a 4 barrel carb. The 1-2 shift chirps the tires when getting on it but the 2-3 shift isnt as hard which I believe is normal. Is it possible for the tranny to upshift on me causing my bogging problem? I dont think its upshifting but after having the tranny just rebuilt and now this I am at a loss as to what the problem is. And thanks to all those who helped me out with my broken sunshell problem

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 07:10 AM

carb or tranny?

Hey tinman,any chance it's the converter locking up early bogging this thing down?Will converter release when you touch the brake?

When you feel this can you drive thru it with harder acceleration,meaning does it feel like it frees up then goes?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 AM

Hey briscoe, I am not sure if the converter is locking up or not. I havent had much expierience with this. But for the second part of your question yes I can give it more gas and power thru it. Atleast im pretty sure alot of traffic this morning not a good time to check it out as well as i wouldve liked. Maybe after i get the kid off to school i can take it for a ride and be able to tell better.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM

OK I have more info now. At WOT it stays in 1st until 45mph then stays in 2nd until 75 mph I did the test in drive not over drive. But when I am taking it easy it shifts into 2nd at about 15mph and shifts into 3rd at about 30-35 mph. I think what might be happening is its in third at 30 mph and bogs down when I have coasted a little bit then give it gas. If I try to power thru it, it stays bogged down for quite awhile then it feels like its double shifting but remains in the same gear "I think". Also when I slow down to about 10 mph it has like a hard down shift it a wierd jerk hard to explain. I hope this helps as i seem to have trouble explaining this as well as i would like.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM

carb or tranny?

Hey tinman you need to go see your trans guy,best as I can tell it's a trans issue.It may be converter,locking to soon,also not releasing when it should.

But at any rate the trans guy will know when he drives it.

And by the way,if he says it's locking up early, you may want to ask him about delaying lockup.It will definitely be a change for the better.Good luck,and please let me know what you find out.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:17 PM

sounds like lockup

Hey tinman it sounds like the lockup solenoid is plugged or lockup pressure switch is bad in the transmission. It is locking up way to early . If the transmission shop takes care of this it should lockup later for you
Old 11-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I Love VTec

Last photo:

un plug the connector from the trans and see if it still happens
Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Can I ask what WOT means? I see it all over the boards here and was just wondering.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

wide open throttle... even though its not completely normal for a 700r4 to have lockup engagement in 3rd, it is possible... u dont mention what kind of vehicle, or the year, so theres no way of telling if it is in the computer stragety to have t.c.c. apply in 3rd gear. but it can be fixed to come in when the trans shifts into o.d. (pressure switch, or wiring) if it is an early (82-85) it could be a vacuum control type setup and in that case, u would aslo need to check over the thermo vacuum switches on the engine.. if they go bad, its possible that it could be what is allowing early clutch apply.. best of luck
Old 11-10-2006, 06:13 AM

After driving the car some more i think you guys are right about it locking up. Is this an easy fix? This is my only vehicle and the friend who i could borrow a car from is out of town. I just cant afford to be with out it for long. I was hoping i could wait for it to be fixed. And thank you guys so much for all your knowledge. Also will it hurt anything if i drive it until next weekend like this? Man Briscoe i wish you were in Wisconsin so i wouldnt have to make a repeat trip. This is only the 2nd tranny i have ever had rebuilt and both times now are repeat trips. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey 64Nova WOT means Wide Open Throttle.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:16 AM

Sorry TNSMITH10, Its a 88 caprice with a 350 and 4 barrel carb. Its a retired police unit from washington.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 AM

carb or tranny?

Hey tinman,if you let the trans shop know you can't be without your car,and they qualify the concern quickly, and it is just a partially plugged up solenoid,they can change solenoid in about an hour.

You should be able to drive it until then.Tinman thanks for the kind words,I was glad to help.

You wish I was in Wisconsin? I wish you were in Virginia,need all the customers I can get.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Hey Briscoe, i just called the shop they are gonna take a look at it. And try to get me running today unless they have to make the dredded parts order. In any case i'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:19 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I don't know anything about 700R4s but does that transmission have a kickdown cable? If so, is it hooked up?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM

Hey briscoe i said i would let you know how this turned out. well it was a hassle getting my car back they couldnt get the part in time i guess. But yes it was the solenoid they put in a new one and now i am good to go. They also sia dthey forgot to tell me the first time that my fly wheel was in bad shape. so i had them put in a new flywheel and starter. I got them installed labor free just paid for parts so that part was cool. Although when i got my old fly wheel back it wasnt nearly as bad as they said it was. Any way you were a big help so i atleast owed you the conclusion. thanks again

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.