Carb trouble? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb trouble?

Got a great barn find, a 69 Cutlass, really a fun thing to come across. It has a 350 motor with an edelbrock high-rise and a holley 750 carb. Son and I have been driving it, paid almost no attention to the drivetrain while we do some much needed work to the body and interior.

So, the car sits for a day without being run (It has a performance cam - don't know specifics) and idles fairly rough. We have begun looking for a carb-genius mechanic to set the motor up for our needs. Anyway, son goes out this morning, starts the car, it runs a bit rough, kind of coughs a couple times then dies.

Now it will crank and crank but not fire. We have spark (as demonstrated by removing a spark plug and cranking the engine while holding the spark near metal - it sparks. the spark cable even 'bit' my hand). We believe we have fuel to the cylinder because the plugs are/were wet when removed. However, when we cranked it last, we heard a funny sound like some type of liquid under pressure - hhhsssssssss. We cranked it again and I jumped on top of the motor and the carb was full of fuel! When we stopped cranking the fuel made the hhhhssssss sound aagain and was drawn down.

Anyone ever see anything like this? I would love to say this is a timing issue, as it sounds almost classic, but no adjustments of any kind have been made to cause the change. More likely, I wonder if the carb is gummy and finally, even though we've been driving it, finally bogged down under its own muck and gunk.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas or suggestions as to how to remedy this and get the motor to start. BTW, it makes absolutely no sound that indicates it is firing at all, just cranks cold over and over.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would guess that your needle and seat is stuck open with junk in it or/and one of your bowl floats might be sunk. Carb needs a thorough cleaning and new needle & seat and gaskets, ec.

Might want to check your oil as I'm betting your have gas in the pan, maybe a lot of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.