CARB. VS. EFI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post CARB. VS. EFI

I currently have A EFI 302 mustang, I going to do a 351 swap. The 351 is going to be stroked to just under 400ci. I know I can keep it EFI, but would it be easier to go carb? What are the power differences? Also what is the difference between a roller block and non-roller? I found a 94 351 roller shortblock for $400.00 or should I just get a older/cheaper block sence its going to be stroked? I really want to get this swap done but I really need all the advice I can get this will be my first engine swap. And I plan on doing it myself so any help would be great. THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

not much of a ford guy here, but to keep the EFI, you`ll need to step it up to the new displacements requirements, which may require a computer change or chip change, bigger injectors, different knock sensor or the like. I`d go with the roller cam, there far superior to any flat tappet cam. there are some real good ford guys on here that can tell you more than i can on the fuel injection issue. just giving my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I will second that on keeping the EFI. From what I have seen the Ford EFI systems work very well even on highly modfied engines. Like state earlier, you will need to match the injectors to the application and probably do a chip upgrade. There are are also new ECU's available that allow you to completely customze the fuel and ignition curves. I would also recommend ether a intake port job or an aftermaket intake. They are a bit price, but pretty important to get the most of your combo.

Chris
Old 05-19-2003, 04:35 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Stay with the EFI. My Bud built a 347 and droped it into his Mark VII, replacing the 5.0. He used all the wiring harness, computer(chip mod) and some Holly bolt on items and has a 400 Hp, 400 ft lbs monster that looks like Grannie's Grocery Cart. And he gets 24 mpg crusing the interstate at 70 with ac blasting!!

Trees
Old 05-19-2003, 04:35 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Going to a carb is cheaper and easier, at least on the most common skill level. On a high performance engine that's properly dyno tuned, there is no real difference between EFI and a carb, that's been proven. But in the real world, EFI adds 5-15 hp. Why? The driving environment changes constantly, and the EFI computer tunes the engine to match conditions. A dyno tuned carb is great -- for the conditions it was tuned under. You have to change tune 2-3 times during the day, most drag racers will tell you that. The computer changes tune every few minutes! So driveability is the main reason for keeping EFI.
If you have the type with a MAP sensor it's easy to change. The same chip can be used for the 302 and 351, just size the injectors correctly. If it uses a MAF (mass airflow sensor) you'll have to replace that with a bigger one as well as change the injectors. Use a modest cam and the stock computer will be fine -- something about like an RV or econo-power grind. Get wild with the cam and the computer won't work right, you'll have to have a custom chip made.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:39 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

If your going through the trouble of rebuilding port and polish the intake and the heads. Go roller and have your ECU reprogramed.

Rock-n-Roll

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.