Carbed ls motor hard to start hot or cold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carbed ls motor hard to start hot or cold

I have a carbed 6.0 ls motor with a 650 edelbrock avs. I have a hard time starting when cold and when hot. The weird thing is the first couple times i fired it up it started right away. I am using the msd 6010 ignition box and I've tried all the pills all with the same result. it sputters and pops and has even shot a little gas back out of the carb. Once it's running it drives great and idles fine. If i shut it off even for a second it's hard to start again 90% of the time (sometimes it starts right back up). Thanks for any suggestions.http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...wap%20caprice/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Then I would say check to see if the carb is leaking down or if it`s getting heated after shut down. Sometimes the use of a thin carb gasket causes the carb to get really hot after shut down which causes the fuel to evaporate.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

how can i tell if it's leaking down? I have a holley blue pump and i have noticed that after i shut off the car the fuel pressure gauge goes back to zero. not sure if that's normal. when i have the key on fuel pressure immediately goes to 6 psi
Old 10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Other than the carb leaking and emptying the bowls, there's a possibility it could be flooding the intake/cylinders as well. After it sits a while see if you have a shot from the accelerator pump nozzles when you open the throttle, with the key off.

It's normal for fuel pressure to drop when the pump isn't pushing fuel to the regulator or carb. If it's hard to start within seconds of shutting off, and you're not pumping it on restart, it sounds like what DV said, flooding.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Carb float levels

Check and make sure the Carb float levels are correct high fuel levels will drain and wash the oil off the cylinder walls and make starting all but impossible until it dries up

Last edited by rsfyj; 10-31-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: missed a phrase
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

I checked if the carb was leaking down and it was fine so i put my thermal gun on all the lines and carb after i was up to temp and didnt see anything crazy. later that day i got my cable to connect my laptop to the msd box so i plugged it in and low and behold it said cam snsor fail so i went to remove my cam sensor and noticed the plug was loose so i secured it and all is well. starts with a turn of the key and no pedal now. I do have an off idle bog at wot and another bog from mid throttle to wot so once i work that out i'll post up some vids for everyone to enjoy. thanks for the suggestion guys i guess i had a brain fart and didn't check the obvious first. i still don't know how it was running at all without a cam sensor signal?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Check the input voltage at the MSD box. It could be marginal until the car starts and the voltage rises due to the alternator kicking in. Low voltage could be a bad connection, bad or undersized wiring, bad ground etc. The power to the MSD box is supposed to come directly from the battery.

Chet
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
Check the input voltage at the MSD box. It could be marginal until the car starts and the voltage rises due to the alternator kicking in. Low voltage could be a bad connection, bad or undersized wiring, bad ground etc. The power to the MSD box is supposed to come directly from the battery.
I have the same problem - mild SBC w/ Accel points eliminator ignition, MSD6, new engine. Very hard to start. Just found out that the alternator is fried so I'm thinking the MSD is not performing due to low voltage. I hope that's it. I know this combo can work very well - my 354 hemi runs a Chrysler A series electronic ignition w/ MSD5 box and it starts at a touch of the key, regardless how hot the engine is.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 PM

I see you have your MSD box mounted on the intake. It should be mounted away from the engine. It is possible that the ignition box is getting heat soaked when you shut the engine down, thus cause hard starting. Just a thought. By the way, How does that car go? Is that a stock 6.0 liter? Whats it out of???

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.