Hot Rod Forum banner

carbide burrs

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  pmeisel 
#1 ·
Where do you guys buy your carbide burrs?

#6 ·
Usually the welding supply has some high quality stuff if you are in a rush. I get all of mine from Mc Master- Carr industrial supply. Very good selection, good prices, Every bit as good (probably better) as the tool truck stuff. It is the easiest place in the world to get an account if you have a business with 3 or more employees. Google them and look at their online catalog. Rutland tool, (Airgas), also has a good selection/price and they offer several grades.

#8 ·
McMaster Carr takes credit cards from consumers and has a website.

www.mcmaster.com

I purchase from them all the time as they have a distribution warehouse in my area. Shipping is typically next day because of that, and if I really need it, they have a will-call door.

They have an unbelievable array of products and a pretty friendly-to-use online catalog.

Grainger also has a decent amount of products, but they won't sell to consumers, or at least wouldn't last time I checked.

#9 ·
In my line of work we go through a LOT of carbide burrs and other grinding/cutting tools and those H/F burrs are one tool they have that is a real bargain. One of the guys in the shop bought a bunch of those things and we discovered that they are about as good as you will find and cheap too. While most Harbor Freight tools are marginal at best this one is the exception :)

#10 ·
I didn't realize that Mc Master's sold to individuals. That is awesome. If I call and order something from them it is always here the next day before 2 in the afternoon. Ordering online takes a couple of days more. I have an account w/ them and get a paper catalog once a year. It is about 3500 pages. Looks just like the website. Every year I have friends begging me for my old one. I will recommend more people to them now. And yes, carbide burrs break when you rattle them too hard against the material you are grinding. They are brittle. Don't use them in a cheap diegrinder that has alot of runout in the collet, cause you will break it in a hurry. I personally have had more of the solid carbide burrs break. The brazed ones have a stronger shaft. I always get 2 or more of the solid type because they break more frequently.

#11 ·
Power, You make a VERY good and often overlooked point about those "cheapie" diegrinders. A lot of guys point to the fact that they seem to last a long time and cost next to nothing but there is a heck of a lot more to it than that, as you pointed out. A lot of times a failed burr will get the blame when it is the power tools fault and after breaking just a couple of burrs that "bargain" grinder is not such a bargain after all!

#13 ·
ckucia said:
McMaster Carr takes credit cards from consumers and has a website.

www.mcmaster.com

They have an unbelievable array of products and a pretty friendly-to-use online catalog.

Grainger also has a decent amount of products, but they won't sell to consumers, or at least wouldn't last time I checked.
I have had good luck with both McMaster and Grainger. I went to our Grainger salesman at work and he fixed me up with an indivdual account, I gather they do that for a lot of customer employees..... I like McMaster better for small stuff, Grainger better for the bigger ticket items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.