Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carbide burs
Thread: Carbide burs
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Carbide burs

I'm trying to make a couple of parts for my car using some 6061 common everyday aluminum. Since I don't have a Bridgeport or any other milling machine have to chop/clip/cut/saw/grind/file to a close dimension. In this case I've used a hole saw and of course have left the usual 'spurs' that have to be ground off. Now, being of the 'mechanical' generation and want to do it the easy way, decided to crank up the ol' air compressor, dig out a die grinder and my batch of carbide burs - and of course they immediately load up with aluminum, making them useless until I dig the teeth clean. Now - I know that I've used burs before on aluminum, and successfully and even the same ones without loading them up. Possibly I had a different grade of aluminum. I think I now have about 8 burs that need cleaning. I tried slowing the grinder, it's as bad or worse. Faster - I'm there, it wont go faster and loaded up. Yes, McMaster Carr show some non loading burs, but I want to do my job now, not Tuesday or Wednesday. Any ideas? Besides a mill bastard file??

Dave W