Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carbon Fiber Body Panel How To?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carbon Fiber Body Panel How To?

Hi. My name is Brandon. I ran across this site on google when trying to research how to make carbon fiber replica car parts. Basically I have a custom made 1995 Thunderbird remade into a 2000 Cobra R. I built it to be a drag car. It has all the interior already removed, and almost the whole engine and drivetrain built. Now the body needs work. The hood became damaged and needs to be remade (originally out of fibergalss). I was able to repair the hood for now, but would like to remake it out of carbon fiber before the shape is no longer any good.

I want to take the hood and lay some sheets of carbon fiber on both sides, apply the epoxy, and remove of the hood (use the hood as a mold). Then join the under side piece and the top side together to create a "true" carbon fiber only hood.

After that I want to tackle the fenders and trunk but hood first.

Basically, can anyone just give me a how to guide on how to take a body part (hood), use it has a mold, cast the carbon fiber, and then remove and join the two pieces together. Also, the different types of "glue", which is good, bad, etc. And different types of raw fabrics. I already found a few different colored ones I like, but more is always better.

Thanks to anyone that can help me at all.