carbonator on an eaton m-60 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

eaton m60 + geo metro

hi all
i am going bravely where i have never gone before.
the plenum/m60 mount is partially complete at this writing, the goal is make "it" run like "its" @ sea level. ok, ok, a small percentage more......so, with that said, here is what i am working with

"it" is a carbonated geo metro 3 cyl, 5 spd, bone stock, daily driver, to be fed with an eaton m60 short snout, off a buick 3.8. altitude here, 5000'

will all you with forced induction experience be so kind as to guide me thru this?

pully ratio? ig timing? dump valve control?

totally grateful for your input
mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Seems you've jumped in to the deep end ( of enthusiasm ) head-first, without seeing the rocks ( researching ). Maybe you came across this blower, and were already sick of the Geo being so slow?
Several problems here. First is custom-mounting it. Second is connecting its output to your intake manifold, third is fueling, and fourth is that it won't all fit under the hood, even with the largest street-legal scoop / bulge. Possible fifth: adequate cooling. Probable sixth, probable clutch failure.
This is not a quick, cheap, easy proposal. You'd do better trying to play with a small turbo.
If you want to do a mutant Geo, fine, get something else to drive, then start an entire engine swap in the Geo.
If you just want more performance for cheap, then either sell the blower to buy a nitrous kit, or sell the blower and the car, then buy something that can move quicker.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM

well bless your little heart, you did try to warn me

indeed my friend, indeed i have jumped, and thank you for your optimistic and enthusiastic blessing on my post/project.

i am having a bit of difficulty deciphering answers in your positively encouraging verbage to the questions asked in my post, but i will re-read it.

oh my, i wish you or someone would have told me a blower wouldn't mount or fit under the hood before i did it. that sure would have saved a perfectly good m60 for someone else to use....

mark

ps: wasn't it walt disney that got flamed for his ideas before he did them?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 AM

carbonator on an eaton m-60

hey ya'll happy tuesday

ok now, on with the fun.

is there anyone on this site that is knowledgeable in forced induction?

a short while ago i posted "eaton m60 + geo metro", the responses here have been, less?, well, different than i had hoped for.
perhaps some or one of ya'll can direct me toward a forced induction guru / forum / site?

i wish each and every one of you the very best on any and all projects you are involved in or even contemplating.

remember to be gratefull for the experiences you learn from your projects.

mark
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

for a metro specific forum try teamswift.net there is a lot of knowledgeable forced induction guys there.

My recommendation is to try to find a smaller blower, a m60 is too big for a 1l 3cyl. I would look for a sc14 off a toyota pariva.

Metros are good cars I had 3 of them back in the late 90s early 2000s and besides the tendency to burn exhaust valves I never had a issue with mine and I ran them pretty hard.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

You're going to put one of these on your supercharger?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...7976216847660#
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I merged your old thread with the newer one. In the future, rather than double post, bump your old thread.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssj113
to be fed with an eaton m60 short snout, off a buick 3.8.
IIRC that should be an eaton m90 (afaik all the s/c 3.8L had m90s) and they typically have coated rotors. IIRC running fuel thru the blower will strip the coating and ruin the s/c.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM

thanx and oops

68novaSS, oops! thanx for the lesson, im kinda new at this.

kewl! teamswift.net, i will be havin a look there. thanx bro.

nice find there blazin, hmmm i got this batch of diy honey mead....... noooo not on the sc, a bit of lugnut artistic liscense, ie:dizzy=dis-trib-u-tater, ford suv=exploder, chevy aveo=avacado, omni=omlett, what other ones come to yall's minds?

sc14 tojo pariva thanx i shall look in2 that. well this is all new territory to me and that thing about coated rotors, yes they are slick grayblack in color, very similar feeling to your teflon fry pan. they dont like gas??? well we got that in common, the gas for the last few years is some total crap! who knows perhaps i should carbonate the gas........living here at 5000' and most drives are up hill from here, like 1.5 hours to the continental divide on us50, id like to use 4th and 5th gear for something other than down hill. ya know, push enough air into the little thang to make it think it's runnin at sealevel.

spose ya could use nox instead of co2 for the bubbles ????? why not? in a pressurized system, between the pump and the injectors....snap out of it!! back to the post!! i sez to myself

um, pardon me ignorance here, help me with "IIRC" & "afaik"

tis a blast chattin with ya'll
mark
Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you just want to boost it then go with a t25 turbocharger. They are dirt cheap (people upgrade to bigger units) and MUCH easier to install than a supercharger.

Then you can look at intercooling it and doing a blowthrough setup with a carb (though I would pefer EFI). you'll be way ahead in power and mileage compared to your M60 idea and it is MUCH easier to build.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Ram Air

ring a bell?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

I was playing around with putting an Eaton on a 2.5L Jeep I had. I have an Eaton off a 3.8 L Bonneville. I think its an M62. They move 1 liter of air per revolution. It also has a bypass valve built in to dump the boost when the throttle is closed. The Previa blower is smaller in size and capacity (maybe better suited to the Geo). But it has an electric clutch (like an ac compressor) that turns it off and on. Mercedes Kompressor uses a clutched eaton also.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.