Carburating a 5.0 HO. Firing order question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 08:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Carburating a 5.0 HO. Firing order question

Hi all this is my first post here so I will try be specific and to the point.
Ok on to my reason for posting. I plan to buy a 5.0 HO motor out of an 88 Lincoln Mark 8 . My plans for this engine are to add a cam and to remove the fuel injection, and replace it with an Edelbrock Performer RPM airgap manifold and a 650 street demon carb.
But from what Ive read the HO motors firing order is the same as a 351. My question is, do I run the wires for the 351 firing order or for the 302 firing order?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 08:13 PM
you talkin to me?

im not a ford man but i do believe the 351 is the same firing order its been awhile since i tuned one up
Old 12-06-2003, 09:02 PM

I pulled this off of an earlier post about 5.0 engine internals.

"5.0 firing order 15426378 it's not an HO. HO firing order should be 13726548."

This is actualy the post that brought my question to mind.
I really dont want to put this thing back together and BAM im stuck with a High output boat anchor. LOL

My thinking is that the cam has some part in the firing order equasion but im not really sure on that one. Also i dont remember seeing any High Output specific cams when i look through summit.
Im hoping that its just a computer and cam thing. but im not willing to bet an engine on it.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

As long as you know the firing order of the cam you will be using you will be fine. Ford had the 2 different firing orders. They are interchangeable. You just have to match the plug wires to the cam's firing order when you are done.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Thanks. i will remember that.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

If it is an '88 it should be a Mark VII. If it is an LSC then it has the 5.0HO engine which has the 13726548 firing order. If it is not an LSC then it has the regular lo-po 5.0 that has the 15426378 firing order. It really doesn't matter if you are going to change the cam. As long as you know what firing order the cam was made to, you can rewire the distributor to accomodate for that. If you are sticking with the stock pistons and it is a lo-po 5.0 then make sure and check the valve to piston clearance as it can get a little tight on those engines. Also, if it is the lo-po engine, then consider a head upgrade. It probably has the E5 or E6 heads which are good for nothing more than boat anchors. If it is the HO motor then it should have the E7TE heads which are very respectable when properly ported. Personally, if it were me, if you have not bought the engine yet and it is not an HO then I would pass unless you plan on a complete rebuild and upgrade. There are plenty of good running HO engines out there that can be had for relatively cheap. Keep an eye open for Mustangs or '91-'93 Cougars and T-Birds.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info, the car im pulling the engine from is indeed an LSC. It still has the upper intake on it as well as the aluminum valve covers. Fortunately my local pick n pull has three LSCs and a Mustang GT with the engines still in them so i have some choices, but i feel that going with the LSC is a safer bet, mostly because i don't see many of them being driven hard.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Probably a safer bet with the Mark 7. Just wanted to make sure that you got what you thought you were getting. One of the guys on another board I peruse mistakenly bought a lo-po 5.0 from a Mark 7 assuming that they all had the HO motor and got screwed over on the deal. The lo-po 5.0 looks almost identical to the HO motor with the exception of the plate on the upper intake manifold and obviously the different firing order. Not sure if the Mark 7 HO's got the shorty headers as well, but you might as well grab those while you are there.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.