Carburator plenum? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carburator plenum?

I just replaced my Edelbrock carb with a 650 DP Holley carb. I'm using a 2" open plenum between the intake and the carb. I'm getting a stumble, especially with the engine cold. A friend told me that Holley's are more sensitive and the increase volume of intake will cause the stumble? I was advised to increase the discharge nozzles from .28 to .31. or remove the 2" spacer and go with a 1" spacer. Any recommendations? I've already adjusted the carb, accelerator linkage, cam, etc. It's on my 289. I'm also running an Edelbrock aluminum intake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would remove the open spacer and bolt on a 4 hole or super sucker spacer. Open spacers are for high RPM power at a sacrafice of low end torque. So when you add a 2 inch spacer you need more fuel discharge to get the stumble out so to use it, you`d have to go up on the shooter size until it`s gone. I would also check the accelerator pump, it must shoot fuel the instant you move the throttle, if it don`t it`ll stumble.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I removed the 2" spacer which was open and replaced it with a 1" spacer which has the holes (super sucker). Very big improvement on the stumble and hardly any at all. I may have to check the float levels again and it appears the rear linkage has some play in it for the secondaries. I retarded the timing slightly and it appears I may have to advance it a few degrees again. It's odd, the edelbrock actually drove nicer with the 2 inch spacer on it. I always had a flat spot on the highway which the spacer got rid of. I had the 1" already, so it made it convenient to change the two out. Thanks for the helpful advice. Maybe this will help someone else as well.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Go ahead kid squeeze the wheez

Last photo:

This link was posted here some time back, very informative about spacers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ART4SBmdg

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.