Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   carburetion (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/carburetion-24159.html)

jim williams 09-24-2003 12:04 AM

carburetion

regarding carburetion for my chvy 283 cid in my 1935 ford pickup, edlebrock tech dept. says the Q-jets are too large for a 283. as for a 500 cfm performer carb they say it is slightly large for my engine but it will be better at top-end however low-end may suffer. I just want an excellent all around running engine for daily driving with my street rod so wonder if a factory replacement rochester 4 barrel might be the best. your thoughts anyone?

68Impala 09-24-2003 12:31 AM

A Rochester 4-barrel and a Q-Jet walk hand in hand - considering that Rochester built them (and so did Carter) - and, since you have want a stock factory carb - a Q-Jet would be a decent step - but, Edelbrock knows what's up - so, I dunno.

If you are looking for a good daily driver, I never had a problem with the 2-bbl. that sat on top before I chucked the 283 for a 350, and a 2 bbl. was stock for a 283, so....

jimfulco 09-25-2003 11:48 AM

Pontiac used Q-jets on 230cid OHC straight sixes in the late sixties. There's no reason one should be "too big" for a 283.

Frisco 09-25-2003 11:56 AM

I don't know why Edelbrock told you that carb was too big for your 283. If it has vacuum secondaries you are running on only 2 barrels most of the time. The secondaries only begin to open on WOT or high RPM's.

By the way Chevy's with the 283 'Power Pack' engine came with a 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust.

1BAD80 09-25-2003 02:03 PM

Frisco is correct on the size of the carb, the vacuum secondaries will only open as much as the motor need's.

Tech @ BG 09-25-2003 03:22 PM

Carburetor size

Your 283 should handle 500 CFM very easily.

We'd put a 525 Road Demon Jr. Carburetor on your engine. With the annular boosters it is extremely responsive and drivable.

MI2600 09-25-2003 04:19 PM

There were early Rochester 4G carbs before the later 4M carbs (Q- Jets) that are mostly seen around today. The 4Gs were used on 275hp 327 engines up to around '68. They flowed less than the 4Ms that are 750 cfm or so.
I would think that just about any carb with a vacuum secondary system would work. If you can find a good Q-Jet, it would work for your engine. They just have too many moving parts for my small brain.

1BAD80 09-26-2003 07:00 AM

No offense, its great to have some tech person giving out tips and help.
Reading all of the posting on carb's 95% recommends his brand.
But I think pushing the products where he is working is not politically correct. :nono:

Tech @ BG 09-26-2003 07:14 AM

1BAD80

When people ask for recommendations I make recommendations based on what I feel is going to help the customer, and work best on his combination. Sorry you don't feel that is correct, but it's much better to try and give a person the proper technical information based on how a product is designed and manufactured rather than have them spend their money on a part that is not going to work properly.
I do not try to sell, anything to anybody. Just making product recommendations to help. This is something that any manufacture could do if they wanted to on a site like this if they wanted to take the time like we do.

1BAD80 09-26-2003 10:26 AM

Quote:When people ask for recommendations I make recommendations based on what I feel is going to help the customer, and work best on his combination

Yes , I agree with you , but there are other products out on the market that do just as well as BG or maybe better.
You never talk about any of them or recommend any thing else.
As your quote help the customer!

Tech @ BG 09-26-2003 10:39 AM

I only recommend my product if I feel it would perform as well if not better than another manufactures. When people are asking for generic tuning information I provide some tips on what may help with other peoples products. If I do not feel we have a product that will work better than somebody elses I do not recommed anything. I leave that up to the other manufactures, people with opinions to do.

cobra 28 09-26-2003 01:03 PM

1bad80

I do not understand why you are trying to crucify the BG Tech. He is used to dealing with demons. Just like if a holley tech are and edelbrock tech person was on here they would recommend their product line because that is what they are used to dealing with. I for one am just glad the BG tech is on here to help everyone one out. I do not see the other guys helping any of us out. Just saying cut him some slack he is just trying to help.

Jmark 09-26-2003 01:15 PM

The correct 4bbl carb for a 283

1BAD80 09-26-2003 04:16 PM

Then let him give advice on Holly's also.
On the main posting another company told jim williams his carb was no good, BUT their brand of the same would work. Those of us that posted tryed to help instead of telling him to BUY another carb.
Like I said, It's great that a Tech be on the site, but Please help with the TECH portion and not only answer the post that he can recommend another carb from his employment. As far as I know he is the only Manufacture tech on this site, and we gave him a warm welcome to the site when he was only answering tech questions on BG products.
This is a Hotrodder's site, NOT for Manufacture's to push their product, if they are on this site PLEASE help with the tech questions and don't push your product, their is a place on this site for advertising.
IM a Hotrodder and try to help anyone I can if I have the info. not tell them to go out and buy a new part if I don't know the answer.
George
:smash:

willys36@aol.com 09-26-2003 04:51 PM

Don't overlook the Holley 390, vacuum secondary 4-bbl. I used one on the 265 in my wife's '56 Bel Air and it worked great. I now have one on my son's 230 Chevy straight 6 with like success.