carburetor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

carburetor

I have a 1983 chevy with a quad four barrel on it, it has a 350 stock chevy and im trying to get more power for pulling. wanting to know what to drill out or modify to make it have more power.also recommended needles to put into it. I have a home built 3in high riser on it, but dont know if it is to big or if it helps any. also recomend what type of heads to put on with what cam.

Advertisement

Last edited by pulling power; 09-15-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Modifing your Quadrajet on a stock engine is pretty much useless until you do further mods. You asked about what heads and what cam you can use to kick up pulling power but first I`ll ask what rear gears are in the truck? Most of these trucks came with rather high gears around the 3.08 ratio, these aren`t very good for pulling. Going to a 3.73 gear would be a big step in the right direction. From there I wouldn`t pull the heads, unless I was wanting to go extreme pulling power. I would swap the cam to a Edelbrock performer plus cam or the summit racing eqiv which has the same specs at .204 intake and .214 exhaust duration @.050. Next I would install a double roller cloyes timing chain. Next do a complete tune up, start by checking the mechanical and vacuum advance in the HEI, make sure both are functioning correctly, I would add lighter springs to the mechanical advance. Install a brass terminal cap and rotor, moroso blue max spiral core plug wires with 875 ohms. Take your time and route the wires correctly. A K&N air fliter. a set of small tube headers, dual exhaust, turbo mufflers with balance pipe. This will kick up the pulling power of your truck. If you were to add these mods and you have a 3.08 rear gear, it wouldn`t help that much, that`s why it`s important to know what gears you have. I`m not sure what you mean by a 3 inch high riser, if you mean a carb spacer if it`s a open spacer it`s hurting pulling power, not helping it. Also for now, check the timing specs, it should be 12 degrees before top dead center with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, once set, lock the distributor, reconnect vac advance and make sure it`s connected to a full time manifold vacuum source (one that pulls vacuum full time, including at idle) recheck the timing, at idle it should be 20 - 24 degrees before top dead center.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Sell the 350 and get a 400 sbc as a base line. 350 is a good motor, but a 400 will give you torque then a 350. The amount of $$$ will a quite a bit to build a 350 that produce torque. It will cost you less when you build a 400 that will make over 500 ft lbs. of pulling power. What is nice is all the accessory will bolt right up.
Just adding my 2 cent.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
More for Less Racer

If that 3" "high-riser" is a 3" carb spacer, it is hurting your power with a stock engine(or any towing engine for that matter), not helping.

DoubleVision laid out the rest. If this is serious trailer pulling, a 383 stroker or 400 would be the smart choice if you have to stay with a small block.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulling power
I have a 1983 chevy with a quad four barrel on it, it has a 350 stock chevy and im trying to get more power for pulling. wanting to know what to drill out or modify to make it have more power.also recommended needles to put into it. I have a home built 3in high riser on it, but dont know if it is to big or if it helps any. also recomend what type of heads to put on with what cam.
Buy and read this book:

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.