Hot Rod Forum banner

Carburetor/Blower question

855 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Roald 
#1 ·
Okay, so I've looked into it but I haven't found a clear answer. Can someone explain to me the differences with a blower setup (and NA I guess as well) mechanical secondaries versus vacuum secondaries? I don't understand how this effects your performance? As far as I'm aware of, I assume mechanical secondaries would be better because you basically control when you want your power, as opposed to vacuum I guess the engine has to "wait" until enough vacuum is created to provide the response?

I'm new to carbs, so I haven't grasped all of the fine details just yet. I guess the real simple question is this - is there any reason I SHOULDN'T use a vacuum secondary? I am looking for the best carburetor for performance, NOT gas mileage. As far as carbs, I was considering going with Holley. Are Edelbrocks spotty on their quality, because I know alot of people that have gotten rid of them. I talked to a friend of mine, and he said he gave his away (literally) about two weeks ago.

Also, off the wall (but still related) - I have an E-85 gas station right down the street from me. Right now I have high compression forged pistons that would work fine with this application. Since I don't have the carbs yet - buy a pair, or go with gas? The only negative thing I see is not being able to get gas just anywhere, and having to bump up my fuel setup (which I was doing anyways). Any opinions considered. Thanks guys. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're going to race, use mechanical secondaries...on the Street, use vacuum. The engine knows, by the vacuum, when it can effectively open up the secondaries. As for carburetors, there is nothing wrong with a Holley OR an Edelbrock...period. It all boils down to tuning. Some are more familiar/comfortable/ with tuning one or the other. Personally, I prefer the Carter/Edelbrocks. They don't need to be disassembled to tune,and Edelbrock provides a pretty much idiot proof owners/tuning manual that will guide you along. My blown Hemi has 2 Carter Competition 500 CFM's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.