Carburetor mods with Thumper cam - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The Pro Billet comes with all the instructions and parts to set up the advance curve where ever you want it, right out of the box, so you're ahead of the game already,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68stang73
the cam is the mutha thumper NOT bg mutha. and the mutha recomends 2500 i checked and cross checked.
Yada Yada yada Yada...... get the 3500 stall converter.

Someone down at Comp Cams needs a ***** slap up side the head.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:55 PM

yada

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Yada Yada yada Yada...... get the 3500 stall converter.

Someone down at Comp Cams needs a ***** slap up side the head.
well i have it ideling @ 1000 rpm and already put it in and out of gear many times and it does just fine with the 2500. dont know what your issue is? im not on here for sarcasm just some help from fello hot rodders. i get enough of that plus some from my ex wife... i have yet to change the spring and do the dist and it idols just fine in and out of gear. thx again for those of you who want to help...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Well since last year I have ditched the stupid big mutha thumpr cam I used to had. It was the best thing I ever did. And to agree with Fbird you need a 3500 stall with a cam with a big amount of overlap like that. To me thumpr cams may sound nice and give some average performance for street wise but they are a pain in the rear to tune with any carburetor period.

I was able to get an edelbrock to work with a comp 292 cam but the big thumpr cam is way more radical specs wise for overlap. When you have very low vacuum like that your asking for trouble. Everything has to be up to spec from engine setup, carburetor, ignition, timing etc to make it all work right. I know some of the guys on here can be kind of rude and mean at times but they do know there stuff and have a lot of experience which I have learned a lot from them and from my elders who have done this for many years.

Look through some of the suggestions and you will have the final choice and make sure its a good one. My advice is if funds permit get a lunati voodoo cam. I got the 231/239 @ 50 with 535/550 lift and man I went from 5 to 12 inch's of vacuum and good breaks now and man did I get a nice jump in power and torque and way better throttle response.

All I have to do is have my timing at 16 initial and 34 all in by 3500 rpm. My timing curve probably is not 100 percent but its close and it runs excellent on pump gas with no issues. I am using a 3000 to 3500 stall converter and you have to have enough. Hope thing work out for you.
Eric
Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Well since last year I have ditched the stupid big mutha thumpr cam I used to had. It was the best thing I ever did. And to agree with Fbird you need a 3500 stall with a cam with a big amount of overlap like that. To me thumpr cams may sound nice and give some average performance for street wise but they are a pain in the rear to tune with any carburetor period.

I was able to get an edelbrock to work with a comp 292 cam but the big thumpr cam is way more radical specs wise for overlap. When you have very low vacuum like that your asking for trouble. Everything has to be up to spec from engine setup, carburetor, ignition, timing etc to make it all work right. I know some of the guys on here can be kind of rude and mean at times but they do know there stuff and have a lot of experience which I have learned a lot from them and from my elders who have done this for many years.

Look through some of the suggestions and you will have the final choice and make sure its a good one. My advice is if funds permit get a lunati voodoo cam. I got the 231/239 @ 50 with 535/550 lift and man I went from 5 to 12 inch's of vacuum and good breaks now and man did I get a nice jump in power and torque and way better throttle response.

All I have to do is have my timing at 16 initial and 34 all in by 3500 rpm. My timing curve probably is not 100 percent but its close and it runs excellent on pump gas with no issues. I am using a 3000 to 3500 stall converter and you have to have enough. Hope thing work out for you.
Eric
thx... i understand the rudeness at times but i have read enough on these forums that it seems tht there is more arguing and i know more attitude than what this is intended for. i dont care what ya run heck i owned 1 of everything at one point. i dont like to play games just honest answers. i dont bash anything anyone uses but give my advice as i have experianced it and nothing more. anyways....im stuck with what i built. i dont have the money to do swaps at this time so im in the RUN WHAT YA BRUNG club right now. just wanna get it running good and if its less than what i expected then i will be the first to say so. im not taking it down the track just street use and hwy. cruz nights etc. but i do like power and the occasional race but i also wanted a sound that knowone else has around here and so thts why i went with it. i may change it down the road but im stuck now...lol! NOW im looking at my msd chart and if i get this right from what is mentioned i shld use the silver stop bushing and the light silver and light blue spring. i dont know if this is right im trying to figure it out. looks like it will stop @ 2800 rpm and have about25 26 degrees??????????????? any help wold be great..thx guys..
Old 02-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68stang73
thx... i understand the rudeness at times but i have read enough on these forums that it seems tht there is more arguing and i know more attitude than what this is intended for. i dont care what ya run heck i owned 1 of everything at one point. i dont like to play games just honest answers. i dont bash anything anyone uses but give my advice as i have experianced it and nothing more. anyways....im stuck with what i built. i dont have the money to do swaps at this time so im in the RUN WHAT YA BRUNG club right now. just wanna get it running good and if its less than what i expected then i will be the first to say so. im not taking it down the track just street use and hwy. cruz nights etc. but i do like power and the occasional race but i also wanted a sound that knowone else has around here and so thts why i went with it. i may change it down the road but im stuck now...lol! NOW im looking at my msd chart and if i get this right from what is mentioned i shld use the silver stop bushing and the light silver and light blue spring. i dont know if this is right im trying to figure it out. looks like it will stop @ 2800 rpm and have about25 26 degrees??????????????? any help wold be great..thx guys..
well i used the stuff i mentioned i dont know if its perfect for my motor or not but it sure sounds and runs a ton beter. good responce and no more spitting and sputtering as it climbs in the rpm range. i didnt touch the vacume adv yet but i will. lil baby steps works best for me... so anyways guys thx for all the advice even you f-bird 88! if what i used isnt what you were talking about plz let me know. thx again!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

It's really not hard to get the timing dialed in-- provided your dist. will allow the range of centrifugal adjustment that the cam needs.

Say you see that it starts and idles good w/22 degrees of initial. An additional 10-14 or so degrees should be provided by the centrifugal advance. This should be all in by 2500 or so RPM.

Another 10-12 degrees of vacuum advance (hooked to manifold vacuum, would be my choice), and you're basically done except for fine tuning things to match your exact set-up.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Hello Stang do you have the thumrpr, mutha thumpr, or the big mutha thumpr cam? The reason I ask is I had the big mutha thumpr cam. The thumpr cam the first one should work with a 2500 rpm stall and if your able to get it into gear and out of gear with out your rearend sounding like its shooting out the back and no issues when your at a stop sign etc then it should be good but that is just my opinion.

I have went through different stall's over the years with different cams so I have some experience. Yeah its best to do with what you got and if your happy with it and you get it all done and running good then your fine.There is in my opinion never a perfect engine combo when it comes to performance. You have some things and not others and vice versa. Well have fun with your build.

I only got rid of my big thumpr cam not because of how it performed but because of all the overlap it had. It was too much for me and street driving. Yeah it performed pretty well for what it is but my lunati voodoo does better but its a little bit smaller too so it will give me better response on bottom end anyways but that was my personal choice.

Just not a big fan of the thumpr cams just because of my experience but not bashing them, I just hate the exaggerated amount of overlap they have to give the sound. I like my cams with smaller split profiles.
Take care
Eric
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Hello Stang do you have the thumrpr, mutha thumpr, or the big mutha thumpr cam? The reason I ask is I had the big mutha thumpr cam. The thumpr cam the first one should work with a 2500 rpm stall and if your able to get it into gear and out of gear with out your rearend sounding like its shooting out the back and no issues when your at a stop sign etc then it should be good but that is just my opinion.

I have went through different stall's over the years with different cams so I have some experience. Yeah its best to do with what you got and if your happy with it and you get it all done and running good then your fine.There is in my opinion never a perfect engine combo when it comes to performance. You have some things and not others and vice versa. Well have fun with your build.

I only got rid of my big thumpr cam not because of how it performed but because of all the overlap it had. It was too much for me and street driving. Yeah it performed pretty well for what it is but my lunati voodoo does better but its a little bit smaller too so it will give me better response on bottom end anyways but that was my personal choice.

Just not a big fan of the thumpr cams just because of my experience but not bashing them, I just hate the exaggerated amount of overlap they have to give the sound. I like my cams with smaller split profiles.
Take care
Eric
i have the stage 2 cam the Mutha Thumper. and i did go with the 2500 stall they recomended and where im at its cold and snowy so the stop light thing is a no go. had snow since dec. lol! but in the garage i have it idoling @ about 1000 and it goes in and out of gear great i idoled it down when in gear to about 500 rmp and yes it was choppy but it went in and out without stalling so then i bumped it back up to where i think it should be. so for street driving i dunno..i hope it will react like it is in the garage. i do need to remind ya all but im running all ford..lol! c4 auto 351w. i know most or all of ya are chevy guys and maybe that what ya say about the stall is correct with th350 or 400's i dunno. so yeah with the pro billit med i used the chart and used light silver and blue spring as well with silver stop bushing and it cleanded up so well my wife could tell from the kitchen and gave me thumbs up..lol! i do know that im in the right direction but is it right????hell i dunno... thx again for all ur help.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Yeah it sounds like your in the right direction. The idle at 1000 rpm sounds good and where it should be. I have a smaller cam then that and it idles at 1000 rpm. If you can shift it into gear and it does not stall and quit then there is one good sign of your stall being enough. The big mutha thumpr cam I had was so big that my stall was not enough at 3000 to 3500 rpm.

My flash stall is 3 grand and every time I popped it into gear it would just quit. Going to smaller cam got rid of that issue and all others associated with it. Keep it up and once you get it out and drive it then you will no how well it does. You don't know until you drive it. Have fun with it and Ford or Chevy different design but same concept. Post a youtube vid with your build would love to hear it.

Eric
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah it sounds like your in the right direction. The idle at 1000 rpm sounds good and where it should be. I have a smaller cam then that and it idles at 1000 rpm. If you can shift it into gear and it does not stall and quit then there is one good sign of your stall being enough. The big mutha thumpr cam I had was so big that my stall was not enough at 3000 to 3500 rpm.

My flash stall is 3 grand and every time I popped it into gear it would just quit. Going to smaller cam got rid of that issue and all others associated with it. Keep it up and once you get it out and drive it then you will no how well it does. You don't know until you drive it. Have fun with it and Ford or Chevy different design but same concept. Post a youtube vid with your build would love to hear it.

Eric
thx...i will post one when i can.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Eric,I have a 351w with a street/strip cam 70* overlap almost 240 duration. Speed Demon 650V I have a MSD pro billet street dist. I went with profile C (MSD Chart) and a Black bushing. This Black bushing gives 18* of mechanical advance which will give you 16* initial and 34* total with Vacuum blocked off.
16+18=34. If you use the silver bushing(25* advance) and you have 34* total advance your initial advance is only going to be 9* which is not enough initial for a street/strip cam. You will end up opening up the butterflies on the primary side too much to keep the engine idling and your idle screws will not respond to adjustment[even with using the secondaries for adjustment]. This will also cause your engine to run hot at idle. and rich too.
Lou
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra720
Eric,I have a 351w with a street/strip cam 70* overlap almost 240 duration. Speed Demon 650V I have a MSD pro billet street dist. I went with profile C (MSD Chart) and a Black bushing. This Black bushing gives 18* of mechanical advance which will give you 16* initial and 34* total with Vacuum blocked off.
16+18=34. If you use the silver bushing(25* advance) and you have 34* total advance your initial advance is only going to be 9* which is not enough initial for a street/strip cam. You will end up opening up the butterflies on the primary side too much to keep the engine idling and your idle screws will not respond to adjustment[even with using the secondaries for adjustment]. This will also cause your engine to run hot at idle. and rich too.
Lou
hey cobra? thx ill tryit and see how it responds..the only pain with chainging that stuf is not loosing the washer...tight fit with the fingers.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM

I tried it with the dist. in the block my fingers were too big. It was much easier when I took out the dist. and turned it upside down on a workbench with good lighting. Take an open end wrench that will fit the nut and bend it at the neck a little. Use needle nose pliers to get everything in place.
Don't forget to mark the rotor in relation to the cap as it is installed, and when it releases from the cam gear as you bring up the distributor, and the cap in relation to the block. That way it drops right back in with the twist of the gear. Start out with TDC and rotor pointer at #1 on compression stroke, its just keeps better order.
Good Luck
lou
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra720
I tried it with the dist. in the block my fingers were too big. It was much easier when I took out the dist. and turned it upside down on a workbench with good lighting. Take an open end wrench that will fit the nut and bend it at the neck a little. Use needle nose pliers to get everything in place.
Don't forget to mark the rotor in relation to the cap as it is installed, and when it releases from the cam gear as you bring up the distributor, and the cap in relation to the block. That way it drops right back in with the twist of the gear. Start out with TDC and rotor pointer at #1 on compression stroke, its just keeps better order.
Good Luck
lou
thx for the tip...but my fingers must be a lil smaller. i used a lil vaseline on fingertip and wala everything went together like ive done it for years..lol! (lucky)!!!! the roads dried off enough for a lap or 4 and it drove nice. tires didnt want to stick...lil too much power and cold pavement...lol! but its good enough for now till i get some road time in it and then fine tune it. i may have some questions along the way but thx guys..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.