Carburetor mods with Thumper cam - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey F-Bird I know this post is old but just wanted to say THANK YOU for this information. I just set the timing on my zz502 (has the smallest thumper installed) and I thought I was seeing things when the initial timing was 25 degrees.. I've never had a cam that required much more than 8-10 initial so I was really spinning my wheels.. Even broke down and called Dad for his advice knowing full well he is a "factory original" type of guy haha..

I guess I will shamefully admit I didnt even know you *could* set initial timing that high until now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
The biggest mutha thumper cam requires a lot lot lot of initial spark timing at idle.
Lock out the distributor mechanical advance and set the idle timing at 34-36deg BTDC.
Install the lightest/lowest tension edelbrock metering rod/power piston step up springs.
Be sure the PCV system is hooked up to the base of the carb and is functional.
the opposite valve cover needs a breather.
Edelbrock carbs do not idle off the secondaries like a holley does. They will be closed at idle.

Once you've modified the distributor and replaced the power piston step up springs and reset the carb idle mixture and idle speed adjustment the idle will be much cleaner. The throttle response will be much better.
A 3500stall torque converter is required. (10" th350 converter) (9" th700r4)

There is no proper carb adapter for the square flanged performer carb on a factory Qjet manifold.
Change the intake manifold. A edelbrock performer RPM is what you need.
Way to much fuel distribution upset with any adapter on a Qjet manifold.
Stop fooling yourself.

If when the motor is hot, the motor is hard to start with the timing locked out, install a SPST switch on the distributor (HEI) or external spark amplifier box power switch on wire to kill the spark during cranking.
Kick it over with the spark switch off, then throw the switch and it will fire right up. Any 10A or more rated automotive grade SPST switch will work.
Mount it on/under the dash where you won't kick or knock it while driving.

Which cam do you have and what distributor? What model # carb?
Get the proper intake manifold.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.