Carburetor throttle shaft's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carburetor throttle shaft's

What carburetor has the strongest throttle shafts? and the best throttle shaft set up and material? I have noticed a very scary pattern with edelbrock carburetors. I bought an edelbrock performer 600cfm manual choke carburetor brand new in summer of 2011, by febuaray of 2013 I noticed that I had a huge vaccum leak at the primary throttle shaft. I had been chasing this issue down for months before I accidently stumbled across the vaccum leak at the throttle shaft. So I decided to buy a brand new edelbrock carburetor and give the edelbrock one more time because I have a lot of different jets and metering rods for edelbrock carburetors.
So this last febuary of 2013 2 months ago.. I bought a brand new edelbrock 650 cfm thunder series carburetor and it was doing well for me until tonight, I heard the lean miss fire thru my exhaust tonight and I knew right away that the throttle shaft on the 2 month old edelbrock avs carb has a vaccum leak because its the exact same miss fire my engine had when I was running my performer edelbrock carb with a vaccum leak. So I checked the throttle shafts and they are very sloppy side to side and up and down and I sprayed carb cleaner around them while it was idling and the idle smoothed out and slowed down, so I know the shafts are leaking. This avs carb has a 1year warranty, so I am going to send it back to edelbrock and tell them to ether fix the throttle shafts or give me a new avs with throttle shafts that will accually hold up and then I will sell it and never touch another edelbrock again.
So I am looking for a new carburetor right now and I want one that has strong throttle shafts, I have been looking at the 600cfm vaccum secondary quickfuel slayer series carburetor, has anyone ran one of these? Are there throttle shafts good?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

I doubt that the shaft itself is worn, more like the cast aluminum body is. There are bushings you can install to help with this issue and if you have a strong return spring, you might try a lighter one. Can you post a picture of the setup you have? Anything that is controlled by the throttle position (transmission kickdown, etc.) will put additional load on the shaft and can cause these problems. Looking at a picture would help.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

ever notice that efi throttle bodies return springs are round and on the shaft..
unlike carbs and a spring pulling on the shaft at an angle??
same reason water pumps and alt bearings last longer..

and like above the shaft didn't wear the body did..
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM

I just find it hard to believe that in 2 months time the carburetor body is just worthless now, it really pisses me off to tell ya the truth. And i dont have a way of posting any pictures today for i'll be working all day. But yes i do have a throttle valve cable, it's a lokar throttle valve cable and i got a softer return spring specially for this carburetor and i bought a new throttle return spring bracket that mounts in front of the carburetor so that the spring pulls the opposite way that my throttle pulls. I even got a new way softer return spring for the throttle valve linkage down at the transmission to try and prevent this very thing from happening. Funny thing is from inside the truck the gas pedal is nice and soft, extremely easy to push, so i would have never guessed that there was enough tention on the throttle shaft to wear the aluminum body within 2 months, that is just ridiculous.
I mean seriously 2 months? I'm going to call a few carb shops and see what it would run me to get the throttle shafts bushed and if its going to run me 200 or more bucks i might as well just throw this carb in the trash and buy a different carb. Been looking at the quickfuel carbs and the demon and holly carbs, hopefully they are built a little better because from my expierence these edelbrocks are just not built to be tough at all and yet they charge you out the whazoo like your buying a qaulity product.
I would have no complaint about the edelbrock carbs if i could get one that didnt develop a fat vaccum leak at the throttle shafts.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM

This problem has existed since shortly after the horse and buggies. Holley had a repair kit for them. They suggested that two return springs be used, softer springs, one pulling in each direction to eleminate the side load on the shaft.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Well i think i found the best over all solution to this issue. I got ahold of a carburetor shop that was recomended to me by some of my online car and truck friends, I talked to the guy about my issue and he said send me the bottom half of your edelbrock avs and i will take the throttle shafts out and install some bushings on the shafts and you will never have this issue again. He said edelbrock doesnt use any kind of bushing on there shafts so its inevitable that a vaccum leak starts at the throttle shafts because the aluminum just slowly wears away. I asked how much it would cost for him to put bushings on my throttle shafts and he said 85 bucks for the bushings and the labor. So spending 85 bucks sounds better then spending 300+ on a brand new carburetor. He told me he would ether use bronze or teflon bushings depending on what it looks like when he gets the shafts out.
What material do you guys think would last longer, bronze or teflon?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.