carburetors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

carburetors

I'm currently working with a holley 600 cfm street/strip carb. A guy on here yesterday told me i should go to a 750cfm for my engine set up. i was wundering if i whould have to get a hole new carb or if i could just put bigger jets in the one i have. I've never really worked on carbs, other than pullin the bowls, floats and needles for cleanin purposes can anybody tell me if this is possible and mabey how to do it. the part # on my carb is 80457. Thanks
Danny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

You would have to go to another carb. The jetting of the 600 would make it to rich.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Get another carb and if you want to save some money ebay the old carb.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
I'm currently working with a holley 600 cfm street/strip carb. A guy on here yesterday told me i should go to a 750cfm for my engine set up. i was wundering if i whould have to get a hole new carb or if i could just put bigger jets in the one i have. I've never really worked on carbs, other than pullin the bowls, floats and needles for cleanin purposes can anybody tell me if this is possible and mabey how to do it. the part # on my carb is 80457. Thanks
Danny
Without knowing what engine is and how it's set up it's impossible to say anything about carb size other than 600 or 750 relates to air flow capability which is related to venturi and throttle bore size. This has nothing to do with jet sizes which control main well fuel flow which is one contributing element that establishes the fuel to air mixture ratio. One could assume that a bigger air flow carb would also require larger main fuel jets, but life and carbs aren't that easy. The rest of the engine such as displacement, compression ratio, operating temperature, spark lead, type of cylinder head and piston crown shape, cam timing, type of intake manifold, the carb itself, type of exhaust, even the air cleaner assembly are some of the many elements that will affect jetting.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.