cardboard body to fiberglass body. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw
You can use any styrofoam based foam like the pink owen corning insulation from Home Depot and then cover it with packing tape or polythene of any kind. Or simply use epoxy resin instead of the polyester or vinylester type. This foam is a fraction of the cost of any urethane foam, sands well and is strong.

BTW this thread is old.
The poly foam melts in the presence of resin but urethane is impervious. I realize the foam may initially be cheaper but you have to do more extra work to prevent melt down.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

Quote:
The poly foam melts in the presence of resin but urethane is impervious. I realize the foam may initially be cheaper but you have to do more extra work to prevent melt down.
When building a full size car you could be looking at a difference of well over a thousand dollars. (Here in the USA anyway). I'll take the extra work!!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Point taken ,and this stuff is made from oil too .. .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

Great thread!I cant wait to see more of "the card board car"!

EVIL
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

this thread was started two years ago guys, the project is probably dead and gone because there was no follow through
Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

gallardo dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelow1
hey i was wondering were u got u dementions for the gallardo i too have a little project going anything would help thanx!!!!!
I got the dimensions from lambocars.com you can get any info you want about lambo's on there with lots of pics. Then I took those dims and the dims for the fiero as well as pics from all sides into a CADD program to make the required adjustments to my template. It works amazingly well.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw
You can use any styrofoam based foam like the pink owen corning insulation from Home Depot and then cover it with packing tape or polythene of any kind. Or simply use epoxy resin instead of the polyester or vinylester type. This foam is a fraction of the cost of any urethane foam, sands well and is strong.

BTW this thread is old.
The thread is old but the project is still ongoing I have been trying out some of the technique that everyone has suggested ( Thanks for all your suggestion I really appreciate you taking the time to lend me your knowledge and expertise, Keep it coming) I have had some failures and some success. I have had some sagging issues in some test pieces. So i'm going to try combining several suggestions I have received. I'm going to try filling the voids within the cardboard with expanding foam (In the can) to give long spans additional supports then coating the cardboard with shellac (or PVA glue which appears to just be elmers glue or wood glue) then fiberglassing over that I hope that there is no bad chemical reaction between the resing and the shellac so i will be trying it on a sample peice first. Expect new pictures or video soon, very soon!!!!

Thanks again
Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadetreeBody
this thread was started two years ago guys, the project is probably dead and gone because there was no follow through
Sorry I haven't posted more regularly but I wanted toe able to show you guys some real progress before I posted again, so you guys would know I was taking all your suggestions seriously. I was also searching for local businesses like the local automotive technical school to sponsor the car to help pay for some of the cost and to make sure it turner out as good as it could. (Still waiting to hear back from the sponsors) But I have been working steadily, remember its just me and this is the first time i have attempted anything of this scale and I'm not rich so saving money where ever possible is a must. Plus there have been design changes. Initially I was going to make it a roadster but the bodywork required to this was way out of my league so I had to modufy the top and blend it into my design. When I get my video posted you'll see what I mean and where the project is but I think I have a clear pla of attack and should be posting more frequently over the next couple of months.

Don't give up on me yet. If you want to know if one of your individual suggestions worked let me know, believe me I've tried almost all ove them.

Remeber cardboard is your friend(LOL) If you build with it, It will conform!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

This car was formed up with cardboard and I covered it with duck tape,And then just started to lay up glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2262.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	31717   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2263.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	31718  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 08-11-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

coat the card board with PVA glue ( polyvinyl acetate) .It won't react with the glass resin and wont allow resin to seep through to the cardboard. Could get Really messy if you could imagine resin and cardboard stuck together...
Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

That's why I used the duck tape,Once done you just pull eveything out the inside.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad63
coat the card board with PVA glue ( polyvinyl acetate) .It won't react with the glass resin and wont allow resin to seep through to the cardboard. Could get Really messy if you could imagine resin and cardboard stuck together...
The cardboard is actually going to be part of thr completed project it will just be sandwich between the glass. Do you still recommend coating with PVC?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

I would actually to prevent resin soaking unneccesarily , but I cannot understand why you want to do it this way other than making it 'easier' to fabricate.
I would also expect the sandwich to fail,whether or not a sealer was used on the carboard because the cardboard's material structure will break down over time with the stresses imposed by normal car use.
That was why the the stuff was invented in the first place ,to enable car bodies,boats,swimming pools etc to be made quicker.
There was a very good book on fibreglas construction written in the 70's which contains more info than you will ever need
"Do it yourself Plastics"
Erich H. Hiemann
ISBN :0 263 06009 8
Published in the USA in 1975 by E.P. Dutton and company,Mills and Boon Ltd.

Amazon May have a copy,get one and it will answer every question you will ever need to know. Cheers!

Last edited by mercmad63; 08-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't leave that cardboard in there if It was me...
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad63
I would actually to prevent resin soaking unneccesarily , but I cannot understand why you want to do it this way other than making it 'easier' to fabricate.
I would also expect the sandwich to fail,whether or not a sealer was used on the carboard because the cardboard's material structure will break down over time with the stresses imposed by normal car use.
That was why the the stuff was invented in the first place ,to enable car bodies,boats,swimming pools etc to be made quicker.
There was a very good book on fibreglas construction written in the 70's which contains more info than you will ever need
"Do it yourself Plastics"
Erich H. Hiemann
ISBN :0 263 06009 8
Published in the USA in 1975 by E.P. Dutton and company,Mills and Boon Ltd.

Amazon May have a copy,get one and it will answer every question you will ever need to know. Cheers!
Thanks, Merc
I'll go to amazon right now and look for it,

The cardboard forms are actually made on top of existing fiberglass body panels of the fiero. So everything has an original fit in the original mounting holes

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.