Career: engineer vs machinist - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Career: engineer vs machinist

I'm 19, right now I'm going to a technical school learning the machining trade, the course is a year and a half long and I'm half a year in. I'm liking everything so far. I'm thinking of going back to school and becoming a mechanical engineer after I finish learning machining, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I know machining is a good trade and I like it; I'm getting smarter every day so I think I can move up pretty far in this trade. (I'm not sure how high I can go from there though, anyone know?)

To become a mechanical engineer it will take me 6 to 7 years (2 years making up stuff I should have done, +4 years for engineering). Doing well in school can be hard for me sometimes. On the plus side my parents will pay for university if I choose to do it.

I'm wondering how much more valuable is the engineering diploma over being a machinist with 6 more years of experience?

When I'm older ideally I would like to have my own company (not sure in what domain yet).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No question...Engineer, stay in school. Earning power is much higher as an engineer and one who is mechanically inclined is very desirable and very employable.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

If you're offered a free ride to college you better jump all over it. There's no reason why you couldn't spend a couple of years in tech school afterwards to learn tool & die making. It'll make you more valuable yet as an engineer.

You have a chance that few people get, take it and run with it.

Larry
Old 11-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Hold out for the engineers training.....machinists get their hands dirty, engineers don't.

Budget RVs
Old 11-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Thoughts

Engineers who know the dirty side are much better engineers..and getting all the education and experience you can get is a good thing..

Knowing how to do your own maching will make you much more valuble to a future employer and besides you can build your own stuff..
Old 11-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: Career: engineer vs machinist

Quote:
Originally posted by fiscus

I'm wondering how much more valuable is the engineering diploma over being a machinist with 6 more years of experience?

I am a Master Toolmaker. I originally started college to become a Mechanical Engineer but quit because I wanted to get married and go to work. I ended up taking a Machinist Apprenticeship and finished that. I've been in this trade for over forty years and it has been good to me. However, what I am seeing in my area of the country is that many companies are no longer hiring Journeyman Machinist and/or Master Toolmakers, but prefer to hire machine operators for much less money to run CNC machines.

Finish the machinist training and then continue on to get the Engineering degree. You will be a much better engineer with the machinist experience.

To answer your question quoted above, a good engineer can make twice the salary of an excellent Machinist.

You also mentioned your interest in going into business for yourself one day. While the tooling (machinist) and engineering will help you there, you should also take some business courses. Most very skilled folks fail at their own business because they don't know how to manage the money end of it.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:32 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Tons of machining is being done out of the country. More so everyday. Engineering is going to be more stable. Stay in school and get the funny striped hat (engineer, train, oh, nevermind...)
Old 11-09-2004, 06:39 AM

Last journal entry: Going Slow.. and steady?
Last photo:

Listen to all these guys. Im in my fourth year of a five year engineering program, and have already had an internship in an engineering field.
All the machine training you've had is even more valuable then you may realize as an engineer, expecially if you doing design work.

Check out my school http://www.rit.edu . there are two types of mechanical engineering programs (i even believe there is an automotive engineering program). If you want any specific info post back or PM me, ill be happy to help!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Re: Re: Career: engineer vs machinist

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco

Finish the machinist training and then continue on to get the Engineering degree. You will be a much better engineer with the machinist experience.

To answer your question quoted above, a good engineer can make twice the salary of an excellent Machinist.

You also mentioned your interest in going into business for yourself one day. While the tooling (machinist) and engineering will help you there, you should also take some business courses. Most very skilled folks fail at their own business because they don't know how to manage the money end of it.

Good luck!
Couldn't agree more!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

First of all you said school can be ruff for you, well than you will never make it through engineering school (its not easy)
I teach a couple classes a year to engineering students at three different universities.

First of all, a good machinist will make more money than most engineers, now understand there are rich engineers (exceptions) but highly specialized. Right now I would hate to be an unemployed engineer as my friend went through last year. He finally got a good job with a big international company for $53,000 a year!
YUK, in my book.

GM started back 15 years ago weeding out the high paid engineers and replacing with college kids to save money and they are still in that phase.
My youngest son is computer engineer , yea he gets a private jet with pilot and good benefits but salary what a good painter can make.

Its funny, but the classes I do, the students have this big idea of all the big bucks they are going to make and you talk to them a year later and its why waste the time.
I have 9 years invested in education (after work), if I had to do it again, I would be a rotten lawyer.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I agree with barry, I'm in college right now for a pre-manufacturing engineering deal and I hate it, going to be transfering to something different.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

I just did your homework and talked to a high up at (car co) and
(oil co). (sorry I deleted names of companies as an after thought) 1:41

Here it is.

Car co.
Eng (standard not supervisory)
$45-75,000
Machinist (skilled trade)
75-120,000 depending on overtime.

Oil
48-75,000 (non PHD)

Last edited by BarryK; 11-09-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BarryK
I just did your homework and talked to a high up at (car co) and
(oil co). (sorry I deleted names of companies as an after thought) 1:41

Here it is.

Car co.
Eng (standard not supervisory)
$45-75,000
Machinist (skilled trade)
75-120,000 depending on overtime.

Oil
48-75,000 (non PHD)
Just where are those machinist jobs located? I know 55 Master Tool & Diemakers that would sure be interested as our jobs are going to Mexico (some are already there).

In reality, I believe you were given greatly inflated wage info for Machinist even taking into consideration for wage differences in different sections of the country, union versus non-union and overtime.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Well, if the jobs are going overseas was not the question as about all jobs are.

PhD engineers in India make $20,000 a year.

That rate was from a big 3 for a Skilled trades position. UAW.

Lets face it, like you said if your a machinist or engineer in a rural
area somewhere the wages will be less.

Edit add-on:
Since you brought it up he also said Machine repair and Tool and Die are a higher classification.
No reason for him to inflate.

Last edited by BarryK; 11-09-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Job Satisfaction

Do you really enjoy what you are doing ..... is it something that you look forward to when you get up in the morning..Do you like the people that you work with..Is the job interesting to you..

Do you have a talent for what you are doing??

If those kinds of things can be answered in the affirmative then you will be more likely to be successful in what you are doing..my way of looking at this..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.