Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   carpet binding (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/carpet-binding-123682.html)

peveto 09-04-2007 04:00 PM

carpet binding

Hello to all. I am in need of some help from you pros out there.I am wanting to learn how to sew or attach a binding to the edge of carpet like seen in nice cars and hot rods using the same material used for the seats and interior. I have several of the interior books and have tried it there way but it does not have that smooth puffy look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Polrxprs 09-06-2007 08:47 PM

Binding carpets

I have been binding carpets the way it is described in the automotive upholstery books by Don Taylor(Automotive Upholstery Handbook) and Don Taylor and Ron Mangus (Custom Auto Interiors). I always get a nice clean edge using their technique :thumbup:

benchracer1 09-06-2007 09:55 PM

How is the best way to hold the binding while sewing

DanTwoLakes 09-06-2007 10:13 PM

There are two ways to bind carpet. One way is to lay the binding back away from the edge, sew it down to the carpet anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2"from the edge, fold it over the outside edge and glue it under the back side of the carpet, and then "sew in the ditch". This means sewing right next to the binding towards the inside on the top side of the carpet. This works fine until you need to turn a 90 degree corner, and then it becomes almost impossible for a beginner.

The other way is to fold the binding over the top and bottom of the carpet simultaneously and sew both sides down at the same time. This way is much easier to turn 90 degree corners, but shows the stitching on the top side of the binding. Personally, I like to see the stitching, but that's just a personal preference.

On thicker carpet, sewing in the ditch works much better. On thinner carpet, sewing through both sides at the same time is much easier, but either way will work fine.

DanTwoLakes 09-06-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benchracer1
How is the best way to hold the binding while sewing

Pulling the binding toward you (away from the sewing machine needle and towards you) will pull it shut over the top and bottom of the carpet if you want to sew both sides at once. It works the same way if you are sewing in the ditch, but when you come to a tight corner, you need to let up to give yourself a little slack to turn the corner. This is really hard to describe without showing you in person. A beginning, or inexperienced sewer is going to struggle with a 90 degree corner, no matter what.

benchracer1 02-03-2009 08:30 AM

I have a roll of precut binding about 1.5 inches wide.Do most of the pros use this or just cut there own from a roll of vynil. I have found that one edge of this binding shrinks and the other doesnt. this makes a strip that shoul be straight into an arc that is difficult to sew

DanTwoLakes 02-04-2009 02:29 PM

Most pros would rather match the binding to the rest of the vehicle, so we would use whatever the rest of the interior is made of. I don't like pre-made binding because it rarely stretches as much as I'd like it to.