Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carpet binding ..need help
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carpet binding ..need help

I'm just starting my first carpet project. I got the material cut to fit. I read over the carpet tutorial. My first sewing attempt went ok for what it was. The material is a temporary cheap stuff so I get a feel for doing it before the real stuff.

Just for reference I have a Consew 225R that you have already helped me get running. It is smooth and fast.

There is a driver side and a passenger side, both must be removable easily for access to the trans tunnel. This is also removable but the carpet will be glued to it. I have this cut and fitted. There won't be any binding on the hump pieces. The other 2 pieces overlap this so the edges need to have binding on them.

I managed to get the straight section and the gentle curve over the side of the trans hump done including "sewing In the ditch" Easier said than done. It looks like I could have used the welt foot I used to make the windlace to hold it in better alignment. I have a smaller one too...1/4 in I think.

The problem comes when I do the cut out for the gas pedal. This piece of carpet must be removable to get the trans tunnel out. There is a cut out 3" wide by 6 inches long that I really would like to put binding around. It is "U" shaped and open at the top. My first attempt resulted in a folded up mess. haha I just couldn't get the vinyl to go around the 90 deg corner. The binding is probably not optimal as it is fairly heavy vinyl. I could live with making a rounded bottom to this if necessary as it is directly under the gas pedal.

I use aluminum plates with gaskets to cover the steering column and brake pedal openings so those will not be a problem. Also the door opening will have an aluminum angle covering it so I really just needs the edges against the tunnel done.