Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Carpet installation.. any tips, pointers, etc?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodat
I keep finding myself tending toward fitting carpet like I make a seat cover. Several pieces sewn together to fit the curves, transmission tunnel and such. I feel like I **must** be missing something obvious. This is one area I never got to learn from my dad before he passed.

Current project in the shop is really kicking my ***. An idea of how those more experienced approach this might really help.

Thank you in advance!
You don't need to sew the parts together at all. The way to approach it is to do the trans tunnel first with whatever padding you are going to use and a separate piece of carpet. (Make sure you run the carpet all one way, or it can look a completely different color) After the tunnel is done, put your padding on the floor on each side of the tunnel and fit the carpet around the tunnel in a "U" shape in the middle. You can either bind the edges of the carpet that butts up to the tunnel, or just glue it down next to the tunnel. Most automotive carpet is split in two under the middle of the front seats. Then the rest of the carpet is installed from the middle of the front seats to underneath the rear seat.

Look at how this carpet is installed. If you don't like the binding on the edges, just don't use it, just do something to the edges of the carpet to keep it from unraveling. CARPET INSTALL

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.