Hot Rod Forum banner

carpet and insullation for 55 PU

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Paco 
#1 ·
I'm working on a 55 Chevy Pickup and would like to know details about the "insulation" that is recomended for the firewall area. Right now there is a black, 3/4" thick paper like "stuff" on the interior side of the firewall. I'm taking this out, RIGHT?? and I replace it with what? And does my carper then go as high on the interior firewall as this paper stuff? Where can I buy carpet? Enough questions?

Thanks from a rookie.

#3 ·
Terry,
I have had this happen to me twice on two different cars.

l. Re-check everything in the primary ignition circuit to see if it is connected properly, and the wires are good. I fixed this once by replacing the points and condenser even thou the one I had was new. You can check a grounded condensor by holding it up away from the distributor mount. If you get spark when cranking it this way you have found the problem.

2. The other thing that can cause this is a defective ignition switch. Bypass the switch with a wire, turn the motor over, if it starts, replace the switch.

#4 ·
I have used many different sound barriers and carpet underlayment. Like the foilbacked foan the best, but they even have asphalt type thin material that is put in with a heat gut to make it conform to the floor. All the street rod magazines have different types and I think it's a matter of preference. As far as the carpet you can put it up as far as you want to hide anything. Lots of auto carpet suppliers in magazines and JC whitney.

#6 ·
As far as carpeting, it is a matter of what look you like to see in your ride, i have seen guys carpet from the firewall to below the rear window, i have also seen guys start that new carpeting on fire with less than perfect wiring in some older trucks.before you put in new, you have to scrape out all of the old black matting, and scrub the surfaces clean so you can get good bonding with the new adhesive. another consideration is road noise, and adding insulation under any carpeting and in the doors, under the dash,etc. helps. I prefer to use the silver-backed with the scrim in it, applied with "sticky-stuff".buy your carpet preformed for a cleaner installation, and buy extra material if you want to add some anywhere. that company kanter sells a kit for pretty cheap. buy your insulation at any good autobody supply, just comes in rolls.if you want to get real fancy, insulate the whole truck and buy headliner and trim material.hope this helps.

#7 ·
I have also used a number of different things from "made for your car" to "generic" stuff. The foil backed jute stuff is really good, kinda hard to conform to floor patterns in some cases. What I have used the most in recent build ups is the foil on both side with air bubble plastic in between insulation bought at the hardware or building supply store like Lowe's or Home Depot. It is only about 1/4 in. thick, but bends and curves really well around almost any floor design. After I glue the first layer in with spray on contact cement(3M77)I then make a another layer with the seams in different places and glue to the first layer. Its neat, clean, and conforms very well to the floor and different angles and patterns. You can cut it with scissors or a razor knife easily. Cost about $40 for a roll that is more than enough to do two layers inside a car. Comes in 2' or 4' widths. Might not be the best on the market, but it works well for me, and has lasted for over 3 years with no problems. Hope this helps...PACO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.