Carpet? What, where, how??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
http://community.webshots.com/

Wiki Edits: 0

Carpet? What, where, how???

I will be starting my interior soon. I have already covered it all with Second Skin vibration dampener and need to lay some carpet. What is the best carpet,, cut pile, or loop pile? How to measure, where to buy and any other tips to stay out of trouble.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

There are all kinds of places online to get automotive carpet. Here is a good link to Auto Custom Carpets. CLICK HERE

Carpet is a personal choice. Cut pile is what the manufacturers use almost exclusively now. 80/20 loop carpet is basically the same carpet as cut pile, only with the ends of the loops intact. In general, loop carpet resists holding dirt a little better than cut pile, and is slightly easier to clean. You don't say what vehicle you are putting it in, but if you can find a carpet set already cut for your car, it will save you a lot of time cutting and fitting.

If you want to do it yourself, Automotive carpet is sold by the yard and comes 6' wide, which is plenty wide to fit almost any vehicle. All you need to know then is how far it is from the firewall to a spot under the rear seat. If you will be carpeting the firewall, add that much more. In other words, if the distance from the firewall to under the rear seat is 60", and the distance from the floor up the firewall is 24 ", you need 2 1/2 yards of carpet. If you have a transmission tunnel that sticks up quite a bit, you will need to cover that separately first, then cut the carpet around it, and bind the edges where you cut it to fit around the tunnel. If that's the case, add the distance from the firewall to the end of the tunnel to your measurements. If that's 24", added to the other measurements, you'll need 3 yards.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Last photo:

What Dan said. FWIW I found some carpet that did not have the thick underlay that traditional carpet has. My main purpose going with it was over the trans tunnel. I had no way of getting the carpet sewn, nor did I want to. This carpet is the type you see glued to the bottom of door panels. It must be glued down to the floor to work right. Due to the fact that it does not have the heavy backing it follows compound curves very well. It will form completely over and around the trans tunnel with no seams or wrinkles. Granted it is not as durable as traditional carpet, but my car is not driven that much anyhow.

Vince
Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks guys
Questions:

Dan
1) I have bought carpet for home and business and had the edges bound by the carpet company. Is this where you had your carpet bound?

Vince
2) I like the idea of just pressing the carpet down on the trans tunnel to make it fit but if necessary to glue down, I am using 2nd skin on the floor and wonder if gluing the carped down would work.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy3600
Thanks guys
Questions:

Vince
2) I like the idea of just pressing the carpet down on the trans tunnel to make it fit but if necessary to glue down, I am using 2nd skin on the floor and wonder if gluing the carped down would work.
Yes it would, on mine I first applied a ceramic sound/heat insulating layer. Then on top of that I glued down 1/2" double foil faced jute. I then glued the carpet to that. If I ever have to remove it, it will be a mess.

Vince
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

In general, automotive carpet is much more pliable and has less backing than carpet that goes in your house or indoor-outdoor carpet because auto carpet needs to mold itself into odd shaped areas.
Automotive carpet can generally be formed with the help of a steamer. This thread CLICK HERE shows the type of steamer I'm talking about. One other tip: Be careful how much padding you put under the carpet. This can raise all kinds of problems for doors closing.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-09-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy3600
Thanks guys
Questions:

Dan
1) I have bought carpet for home and business and had the edges bound by the carpet company. Is this where you had your carpet bound
I bind my own carpet with an industrial sewing machine. Here's a thread CLICK HERE that shows a set of floor mats (for Vince's '34) being bound. It's the same process for a larger piece of carpet. The reason I bind it myself is to be able to incorporate the fabric from the rest of the interior to be used as binding.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Dan knows more than me, he does it for a living. I ordered my carpet from Ron Mangus and I also bought his carpet install video. It helped me alot.
There are photos in my album.

Kirk
Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
In general, automotive carpet is much more pliable and has less backing than carpet that goes in your house or indoor-outdoor carpet because auto carpet needs to mold itself into odd shaped areas.
Automotive carpet can generally be formed with the help of a steamer. This thread CLICK HERE shows the type of steamer I'm talking about. One other tip: Be careful how much padding you put under the carpet. This can raise all kinds of problems for doors closing.
Dan: I don't believe my cleaners will let me borrow their steamer. I could use my wife on one of her bad days.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-09-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.