Cars we Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cars we Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda...

We all have at least one car that we didn't buy, or didn't hold on to. A car that was a bargain that we passed up for whatever reason, or sold for way too cheap. Come on, you know you've got at least one...

I'll start. I was 20 years old in 1968, it was summer, end of the model year. I was working full time while attending college, and I wanted a new car! I looked at everything, but one day wandered into the showroom of a local Chevy dealer. Sitting there in the showroom was a bright yellow Camaro RS convertible! Way out of my price range, or so I thought. Talking to the salesman I find out it's a 327 (everybody wanted the 350), and it was a 3-speed all-synchro (everybody wanted the 4-speed), and no A/C. It had been in the showroom all year, nobody wanted it. After some negotiating, the salesman said I could have it for $2400 even! I said yes, and we started filling out paperwork. I had a down payment, but needed a loan. When they found out I wasn't 21 yet, they said I need one of my parents to co-sign.

I'm home trying to talk my Mom into it - she asked a few questions, and when she finally figured out I was trying to buy a V8 convertible 'sports car', she said "Absolutely Not!" After that the Army, marriage, and life in general stayed between me and that '68 Camaro! I still drool when I see one!

OK, let's hear yours...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	73233  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

In 1970, I was 15 years old and between working for Dad at his Gulf Service Station and the local bakery, I had about $1,000 saved up for my first car (well my real first car). My neighbor had a full sized Pontiac 327 Convertible that he wanted to sell me for about $700...I thought that was great but, my Dad, talked me out of it, saying I was 15 and needed something sportier. So I kept on looking. Another fellow I knew had a 68 AMX but he wanted way to much, around $1700. My teacher had a 1970 Z28 Camaro 350 LT1 for sale, it wasn't even a year old. We talked about me buying it and what held me back was the price...he wanted $2500 for a used car. I could have bought a brand new car for that price back then. To top it all off he had over 12,000 miles on it so there was only 38,000 miles of warranty left on it. At that time another person that I knew had a 350 in an impala and the 64 Pontiac with the 327 was faster, a friend of my older brother had a 302 Z28 Camaro and that was way faster than the Impala so all 350's must be slow right? I turned it down, I could have had the financing but, for a 350 car...not worth it...to me at the time. I've kicked myself many a time as I got older and realized what I passed up.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

oh my did you miss out on that 64 pontiac with a 327. i know typo but i had to bite (326).
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Ray, That was several painful misses in one story. That convertible would have been sweet!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
oh my did you miss out on that 64 pontiac with a 327. i know typo but i had to bite (326).
Nope, no typo, the only car in Canada that ever came out with a 326 was a 1967 Firebird...(that's what I ended up buying as my first real car by the way). All full size Pontiacs all had either a small block or big block Chevy. The GTO pre 67 had the 389 and 67 and up had the 400 Pontiac engines. 428's in Canada was 68 and up Grand Prix only

In Canada it was the other way around when I told people I had a 326 in my Firebird, they told me that Chevy never had a 326 and I must have meant 327.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes Bob, that convertible would have been sweet...2 speed auto but full console and white buckets. I don't know what was up with that 327 but it did have a whack of power. The gearing must have had something to do with it because it wasn't much of a top end car.

That reminds me of our local Dairy Queen owner, he had a 69 Charger 440 car, he needed to sell it because him and his wife where going to enlarge their family and wanted 4 doors. That was in early 72. I could have bought that car for under 2K but, I had big plans for the Firebird. I can't believe it, I lived in a small town of under 2,500 people growing up and the cars that where in that community as well as another community 7 miles to the West, same thing, everybody had cars that today would be a car show.

It's funny, now when I go back home to see family and friends, I hook up with people that I knew, but in passing, not like mention their name and right away you know who they are. When we try and connect the dots as to who they are, it's always done by what you drove...I always get...OH, you where the guy in that Black Firebird!.. followed by...do you still have it?...Don't know me from Adam but, the car, never forget it.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

1973,A guy came into a Ford dealer I was a Mech. at ,was moving to Fla. and had to sell his '69 Boss 302 Mustang,I took it for a ride ,yellow,magnum 500s,rear slats with 4spd.,and 4.30 gears,he wanted 1700.00,and I got him down to 1500.00.My insurance was going to go from 125.00 to 400.00,and I would get cancelled if I got a parking ticket,so I passed on it and bought a '69 340 4spd. Dodge Dart Swinger,for 1450.00,Mpoar was smart enough to not let the vin. show the motor size,it was a v-8 stick as far as my ins. co. knew so my ins. didn't go up....A BOSS 02 for 1500.00!!!!(still wish I would have bought it!)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

As I mentioned, even though I lived in a small town a guy on the same street had a 70 yellow boss 302 4 speed car. He couldn't drive it so in 74 he traded it for a 302 Mustang and that Boss sat on the dealer lot for months. Finally it went to Winnipeg and got sold at an auction...Damn, we where a waist full generation.

Another fellow had a 70 Torino 429 SCJ 4 speed, sold it another guy in town that kept it for two years and traded the car on a 75 Nova Rallye Sport with a smogger 350. That car sat on the lot for months on end...it just wouldn't sell. To find one today is rare, to have one on a lot and not being able to sell it would be unheard of.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Two of note. I was making $375/mo in the mid 60's just out of high school and my passion at the time was everything out of Car and Driver. I was building my 55 T Bird and no money to spare. So what comes up for $2750? The car of my dreams (I'd still give my right testicle for one) a 1956 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing. Supercharged. Heavy body damage and I didn't know squat about repairing steel let alone aluminum. I passed. A driver sold for about 14K at the time.
The next one was a 1963 Jag XKE. Needed a clutch. But everyone knew that according to Car and Driver that the 63's had rear end problems because of overheating. Boy I wouldn't want that. $2500 bucks. I passed.
I still get a tear every now and then.

BB
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

This is a greay thread ,I don't know which I would start with ,A 53 Corvette I sold back in 1970 or a 57 Chevy Cinvertible Factory Fuel injected # speed on column /with overdrive,only picture I can find is before we started working on it ,try to find a picture of the Vette ,,these 2 are just of the top of my head ,65 GTO with Hurst Package,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	73235  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Two of note. I was making $375/mo in the mid 60's just out of high school and my passion at the time was everything out of Car and Driver. I was building my 55 T Bird and no money to spare. So what comes up for $2750? The car of my dreams (I'd still give my right testicle for one) a 1956 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing. Supercharged. Heavy body damage and I didn't know squat about repairing steel let alone aluminum. I passed. A driver sold for about 14K at the time.
The next one was a 1963 Jag XKE. Needed a clutch. But everyone knew that according to Car and Driver that the 63's had rear end problems because of overheating. Boy I wouldn't want that. $2500 bucks. I passed.
I still get a tear every now and then.

BB
The Jag was always my dream until I bought one then that dream turned to a night mare for I belive around 1800 I was fine if it never rained , ,wipers would not work light would go on and off heater would quit ,finally engine would stop ,only kept it about 3 weeks ,it took that long to get rid of that head ache at a loss ,But I would like to have it now.it was a 69 XKE 2+2 cpe british racing green

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 04-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

That Jag probably suffered from Lucas electrical components - they were junk. Standard joke used to be that the Lucas headlight switch had two positions, Off and Flicker!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
That Jag probably suffered from Lucas electrical components - they were junk. Standard joke used to be that the Lucas headlight switch had two positions, Off and Flicker!
Standard joke.
" You know why the British drink warm beer? lucas makes refrigerators."

BB
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

LOL,, I have 2 MGB s now One of them suffers from same problem ,The yellow 77 convertible works great the other is a 69 MGB GT hardtop it stays running but about every thing else works only when the sun is shinning or if its in the garage to find problem,
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
In '73 I bought a restored/customized '68 Bonneville 650 that was better than showroom looking. It was stunning and got lots of attention everywhere, but after 2 years of replacing the selenium rectifier and battery numerous times and the points many times, I'd had enough and sold it. I've never owned another vehicle that had Lucus electrical parts....

In '74 I bought a '70 Chevelle SS 454 from the original owner. It was an LS5 4speed with 3.73 posi. I found a build sheet in the rear seat a couple years later and was fascinated with the codes that called out all the equipment. I'd never seen one before. Everything on the car matched the sheet !! I drag raced it and ran 13.10's. In about '77 I removed the engine and installed a built LS6 a guy had to sell. I was able to run 12.60's with the 6 motor. I sold the LS5 to my then brother-in-law. It was built pretty well beyond factory too and he was 17. His Dad didn't want him to have all that power so they put in lower compression pistons and he installed it in a '72 El Camino. A few years later I got divorced from his sister and had to sell my Chevelle. I eventually lost track of him. Fast forward to 2002. I ran into him and we started talking about the old days and our cars and I asked him what ever happened to the LS5. He said the car rusted away and he then put it in a K20 pickup but couldn't afford the gas it went thru. He eventually pulled it back out and put it in his dads garage where it still sat. He asked if I had an use for it and I had recently bought a '70 SS rolling basket case to build up into the car I used to own, so I asked him what he wanted for it. He told me to come get it. When I arrived he remembered that one of the reasons he quit driving it was because it had developed a knock. He thought it might be a lifter. I brought it home and pieced together the full VIN and went to the DMV. The car was still registered !! I wrote a letter and the guy at the DMV sent it to the owner, since they couldn't tell me who it was. I got a call a few months later and went to see it and possibly buy it back. It had been bastardized and was unrecognizable as the I car I owned. He was willing to sell it but wanted way too much and I already had another car for the engine, so I let it go. I did check out the engine and didn't find anything bad inside but never got around to having it rebuilt. It is still sitting on an engine stand in my shop...
Someday.............

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.