Carter afb 9605S 2713 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carter afb 9605S 2713

What does this # tell me? I'm not certain it's an AFB, but think so.

Prior to UPS'ing it to a rebuilder they instructed me to do a vacuum check first to make sure it's a bad carb instead of only out of adj., or related instead to some other engine malfunction.

I can build you a house from botom to top, but am all thumbs with autos, so I am not familiar with using a vacuum guage to make the various determinations - any advice or online resources such as how to videos or manuals?

I picked up a guage today but don't know how to use it, or what the carb pressure, etc. should be.

Alos, I moved it from a 383 to a 440 - does that matter?

Advertisement

Last edited by 1evoldog; 12-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1evoldog
What does this # tell me? I'm not certain it's an AFB, but think so.

Prior to UPS'ing it to a rebuilder they instructed me to do a vacuum check first to make sure it's a bad carb instead of only out of adj., or related instead to some other engine malfunction.

I can build you a house from botom to top, but am all thumbs with autos, so I am not familiar with using a vacuum guage to make the various determinations - any advice or online resources such as how to videos or manuals?

I picked up a guage today but don't know how to use it, or what the carb pressure, etc. should be.

Alos, I moved it from a 383 to a 440 - does that matter?
You're correct- it's a Carter AFB, 600 cfm.

Does it allow an engine to run w/it in place? Has it been sitting long- when was it last used?

It may need tuned for a different engine but it should still allow an engine to crank up and run unless the two engines are very different from each other as far as how much vacuum they make. I'd not go out and run it wide open until you got inside it to know what the jets are to go w/the needles and step up springs.

I'm not sure exactly what they meant by telling you to check the vacuum, other than that's one thing that's done when the idle mixture screws are adjusted- you set the needles to give the highest vacuum at idle. Then under cruise conditions you'd want to see if the step up springs were allowing the needles to seat, but using a vacuum gauge for that would require you to run a long line from the carb/intake to the gauge positioned where you could see it while you drove- or better yet while a helper monitored the gauge while you drove.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-24-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Yes, engine runs.

It came on a 75 RC w/a Charger 383 transplanted into it. I bought it on ebay, shipped from Dallas To Atlanta, exhaust was blown apart, probably bad timing chain, but not certain. Carb supposedly was rebuilt by a local guy getting advice from another guy over the phone; ran OK for a couple of days, then started backfiring like a bazooka, then would not start.

Truck sat for several months, over a year, easy, until another 75 RC w/440 I was getting roadworthy had the carb catch fire (also a carter, I believe), so another mech moved the carb from the 383 to the 440.

**side bar** Can the one that caught fire be rebuilt? It melted the top of the plastic rod on the top right that the accel linkage hooks to.

Having it mounted on the 440 began a comedy of errors in attempting to diagnose/tune it. Generally, it would get down the road fine (but deisels/pings when giving gas) but has problems idling.

It wants to die when coasting or stopped in traffic, in gear.

There were a number of electrical probs contributing, from cracked plug wires shorting out/arcing against the block, which were replaced along with ign. modual, coil, volt reg, dist. and also the fuel pump (2nd one in short time of a few months and very little around town miles).

Luckily, I was in seat w/hood up 2 days ago and noticed arcing off the pos. terminal - connector was cracked, which I replaced today.

Soooooo, it could be that the last couple of guys could not get it adjusted because of the unknown arcing, but I am aware that you could turn the 2 front screws all the way in and it would not die, at least not often)

In a nutshell:

- Supposedly rebuilt by an inexperienced (young) mech;
- Had a SEVERE back-fire/won't start on the 383 which is likely not related, as it has not repeated the backfiring while on the 440;
- Sat for a long time;
- I've run tons of inj. cleaners through it;
- There have been various elec. problenm when mechs attempted to tune it;
- It gets down the road fine with the exception of diesel/pinging when hard accel'ed;
- Wants to die/runs rough at adle, dies when coasting to a stop and/or sitting at lite in gear.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You're correct- it's a Carter AFB, 600 cfm.
I'm not sure exactly what they meant by telling you to check the vacuum, other than that's one thing that's done when the idle mixture screws are adjusted- you set the needles to give the highest vacuum at idle. Then under cruise conditions you'd want to see if the step up springs were allowing the needles to seat, but using a vacuum gauge for that would require you to run a long line from the carb/intake to the gauge positioned where you could see it while you drove- or better yet while a helper monitored the gauge while you drove.
Vacuum check was partly to make sure it was not something else wrong w/engine befoer i sent my carb in to be rebuilt.

I know nothing about the "innerds" or adjusting them, but can hook up the guage adn adjust the 2 front screws, and the idle screw, I think it is, to the left, if you can tell me what I need to see the guage do.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.