Hot Rod Forum banner

Carter AFB 9635SA troubles?

18K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  raguza123 
#1 ·
I have a Carter AFB 9635SA Carb that has been giving me a headache, it has a rough idle and a miss and pop. It's on a 326 engine it has electric choke and it's opened up, I have cleaned it 3 times, soaking and then blowing out with air. installed 2 kits in it and have checked myself twice before assembling, making sure it's right. Still has a rough idle, I have to back out the mixture screws 3 turns to get it to idle and turn the idle stop screw in 2 full turns so it won't stall. it's sputtering at the exhaust.
I have it at stock configuration which is the same as an Eddy 1406.
What could be ailing this carb?
Is it worth it to try and get it right?
Or move on?

#5 ·
I have a gasket with 4 holes in it for a Carter AFB and a 1/4" 4 hole spacer made for Carter/Edelbrock it's like a heat shield.
So what are you saying I should be using a Q-jet on this intake?
Bump my timing to 12 BTDC, It's a stock 326 with a Comp Cams close to stock?
I asking why I should, will it her anything

#7 ·
When going from a spreadbore intake to a squarebore carb you need an adaptor like eddy #2732 or you get a vacuum leak along the sides.
And try 12*. My stock 230 six banger luved it. Won't hurt anything except your wallet. You'll get better mileage and save some money.
My tweaked 350 sbc I had with aluminum heads, big crane cam, headers etc used 22* initial. It's the crap gas you buy now.
Edelbrock.com - Installation Items - Adapters & Spacers

#9 ·
When going from a spreadbore intake to a squarebore carb you need an adaptor like eddy #2732 or you get a vacuum leak along the sides.
And try 12*. My stock 230 six banger luved it. Won't hurt anything except your wallet. You'll get better mileage and save some money.
My tweaked 350 sbc I had with aluminum heads, big crane cam, headers etc used 22* initial. It's the crap gas you buy now.
Edelbrock.com - Installation Items - Adapters & Spacers
I have an adapter plate made for the Carter's to adapt it to this manifold, and I don't have a 12 BTDC mark on my engine, I would have to guess at it.

#13 · (Edited)
He's a pics for you, the center line is 0 and top is a 4 ATDC and the bottom is a 6 BTDC, this is all my cover has on it.

I was trying to get it running good again, it's what started me looking for a better carb, which I have now.
Maybe the 9635SA is beyond repair and is ready for retirement, I know I have been trying to for the last 4 or 5 months now get it running good and it won't, and while testing out different carbs.

#15 ·
I don't think the pump shot would make it idle like crap, it idle has a miss and sputter out of the exhaust, and smells rich, I have to backout the mixture screws to 4 turns so it'll idle with less sputtering amd misses.
I tried carb cleaner around the base, all vac connections and the ones with plugs in them. no idle change.
Just a lot of sputtering, won't even think of road testing, but acceleration has no lag.
I am just puzzled

#23 · (Edited)
I buy and sell carbs to fund my project,after selling a 9635S to a guy he emailed me back with a similar problem I told him to shorten the pump stroke and it cured it for him,did you try it? Have you made any changes to the primary jetting? Also since you made a cam change you may want to try using a lighter stepup rod spring:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1464/ as the Carter and Edelbrocks can be sensitive to a rougher than stock idle which cause the metering rods to "bounce" this will cause a rich condition and erratic idle.

#21 ·
ok, well sounds like to me your haveing fuels issues,, first of all make shure your getting plenty of it,, if that,s good,, you may have other part,s that r given you the problem,, poping out the exhaust usually means it,s goin to be a fireing problem,, recheck all your plug gap,s make shure thay r all set to spec,s make shure all your distributor component,s r good and you r getting plenty of spark,, timeing can also cause these problem,s,, most sbc set at 10 befor tdc,,

#22 ·
It's not a SBC, it's a 67 326 Pontiac, the ignition was just converted to a ingitor conversion, I had a 3721SA carb on there, it runs good, very slight miss, no popping, but could be spark plugs or I have to use universal wires 7mm.
The fuel pump is new and a high performance pump, I installed a holley pressure regulator on it, all is new.

#25 ·
I was using my timing light as the car was heating up to full temp, when she got to full temp, my light wasn't flashing consitently, it would flash then not then flash. I'm gonna test it on my 02 ranger see if it's the light and if it works, then it's the pertronix conversion kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.