Hot Rod Forum banner

carter carburator help needed/also hard start at times

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gmmahieu 
#1 ·
I have an 86 K-5 Blazer, originally had a 305, I got it with a gm 350 crate motor bought in 99. The carb is a 600 cfm carter competition series(9635SA) with an electric choke. it ran so so but got horrible mileage and did not idle well. it has a choke lite. history on the truck is there is 70k on engine, and for the last 6 years only used 6 weeks out of the year in northern georgia at a hunt camp. in cold weather hit gas 1 time to set choke and it started right up, warmed up and dropped to idle speed. also found an exhaust leak cause they installed it without gaskets and it had caked on dirt and old oil depoits everywher underneath the hood. they did not rtv front n rear valley gaskets so it leaked like the dickens. SO, I pulled it down to the block, wow was i supprised to find an edelbrock performer intake under all that gunk, cleaned everything up, redid the heads, valves were fine just loaded with carbon gunk, cleaned them, lapped them to the seats, reinstalled everything clean, all new gaskets and rtv on valley seals, what a difference, no more leaks, no more exhaust leaks, getting mileage i expected now, about 11 city and 15 hiway, the only issue is that dam choke n carb now. when we reinstalled the carb, we installed a 1 inch spacer with the 4 butterfly valve insert, set the choke cold at first started it up got it warm and tried setting idle speed mixture screws, started 2 turns out and ended up at about 1 and a half turns out, however the left side I can turn all the way in and it will still run, the right side turn it in to about 3/4 turn out and it dies. the choke light stays on, tried resetting the choke warm by turning the barrell left all the way then bring it back to the right till the heat spring just moved the choke plate. Now its hard starting when cold, gotta pump the hell out of it and HOLD it at fast idle until it warms enough to run on is own and it idles at about 1200 rpm, when fully warm it idles at about 500 in drive, now if i drive it to a store and go inside and and am busy for 20-30 minutes and come out it starts right up idles as it should and I'm off, but if if I go to a store and am only inside a few minutes, when i come out it acts like the battery is dying, cranking slowly and it takes 2-3 times cranking, then it cranks slow for a second or 2 then goes normal cranking and starts right up, also I have noticed when cranking slow it smokes, found the smoke comes from the right rear grounding strap, also the choke light now stays on 24/7 when key is on and driveing. drove it 14oo hundred miles last week, ran great except the cranking issue and the choke light staying on, got like 15.5 mpg running at about 75. any ideas to what my issue is. I think I am looking at needing a carb. thanks for having the patience to read this long thread. George

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can turn the idle screw all the way in and the engine doesn't die, you still have a vacuum leak somewhere. You should remove, clean, and use a large star washer under your ground cable, hopefully that will cure your hard start problem. Check and clean all of your grounds, it's just good insurance.

#3 ·
hard start

I cured the hard start by adjusting the timing from 12 btdc to 5 btdc. as for vac leak, I cannot find 1, all the bolts are tight in intake and carb, all new vac lines, but I did buy a new edelbrock and will install that this weekend, It was only 1 side of idle speed that did the problem, the other side did shut down the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.