Carter Competition AFB - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carter Competition AFB

I used to run Carter Comp AFB's on almost everything I used to build, it's been almost 20 years now though, and great luck with em. I used to have all sorts of problems with Holly's and swore em off. Blowing power valves being the biggest problem or on a dp just not getting it quite right. I see the edelbrock line of carbs seems to be what I would say to be the exact same thing and if any of you guys have had good luck with them. I still have a 750 Carter Comp AFB, it just needs a rebuild. If its the same thing, which I bet it is, a rebuild kit for it get's me a new carb for cheap. I even have a old strip kit with tons of jets and metering rods, pretty handy. I guess what I'm saying is this, is there a carb out there miles away and in front of what I am used to. Heck, I used to make Q-Jets run great over Holly's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

I've ran several of the carbs you mentioned. For performance, I still love Holley and notice that the Holley still seems to be the choice of carburators when I attend car shows, etc.

Edelbrock- I ran the Edelbrock for some time. Edelbrock was difficult for me to dial in, You have the needles, springs, jets to dial in the carb. You also have to purchase a calibration kit that is expensive to dial in the carb to your application. Edelbrock gives you a graphic on how to richen or lean the carb that only a computer tech could figure out. The nice thing about Edelbrock is you don't have to remove the carb to work on it or change jetting etc. The Edelbrock ran fine and was dependable but never had the performance kick I got out of the Holley. If gas mileage is a concern, this carb got excellent mileage. I recommend the Edelbrock for someone who likes to cruise and rarely wants to put the pedal to the metal.

Q Jet- Very good carb and performs well if someone knows how to tune them or rebuild them. Q-Jets run very well on Big Block engines for some reason. Have several GM friends who swear by this carb.

I'm running a 650 DP on my truck right now and love it. I haven't had any problems with the secondaries other than the float level being too high. The problem I have with Holley's is you tend to be afraid to adjust anything such as floats, etc for fear of leaks that just don't want to stop leaking. You can get parts for Holley's at most auto parts which is also a nice feature.

Carter AFB is a nice carb, especially the competition series which I ran for quite some time as well. Excellent acceleration and performance. The only complaint I had with this carb was that it was very sensitive with the inlet filter (screen) going into the carb and fuel bowls. The carb seem to collect dirt easier than others and clog up quickly causing the carb to run poorly. Running this carb requires a good fuel filter (I always run the Fram canister type). This filter solved my dirt in carb problems.

Difficult thing is that each carb works in a different way. Each serves it's purpose, some are difficulty to work on, some easy. I've tried several, and haven't found one that compares to the Holley. At least for my purpose which is going fast and having fun doing it. So, this my 2 cents and you guys can go ahead and beat me to death on this subject. LOL...

Last edited by kleen56; 01-04-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

Is there a carb WAY better than what you have?....... Probably NO.

Carter has evolved into Edelbrock. Very little changes. I like em.

All the fuss about brands is subjective. Most often people have the wrong carb for the job, or don't know how to tune it, so they swap and find something that works better, then blame the BRAND.

There are lots of differences in boosters and fuel atomization that affects the overall burn of the mixture. Some engines like one type better than the other because of their induction system and heads and the way the fuel mixture hits the combustion chamber.
This is often the case when one brand runs better than another.

Q-jet and Carter are very good. It is hard to beat a good Q-Jet.
AED makes a custom tuned version of the Holley line that often makes power more simple. Barry Grant is very good also.

Also I tend to lean towards too big of a carb. Mainly because the bigger custom carbs have intermediate circuits in them that makes them work on "too small" of engines and the low speed power better and smoother as well as adding unrestricted top end pull because of their size.
This usually allows a dual plane intake to pull up top like a single plane but without the low end torque sacrifice. But that is for another thread.

Run what you have. If there is a problem, then seek help.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Ive always used and liked the carters and qjets as well. I love the simplicity and ease of tuning that the Eddlebrock/carters provide. Makes it a breeze to tune them right on the nut and keep it there, and adding a kit is a walk in the park. A well tuned AFB will outperform a poorly set up "performance" carb all day long. Qjets reputation speak for themselves.

I will say this though. Holley has made some real refinements since 20 years ago. They now have power valve protection for one. Im ready to give them another go. I think it would be hard to beat a well tuned 4160 for basic street use with their vaccuum secondaries and relative simplcity. Im going to try the 4010/4011 series carbs though. They have lots of potential upside including top comes off as opposed to bolt on bowls that leak, huge tuning potential like other holleys, power valve protection, and annular discharge boosters, although Ive not used them as of yet.

Last edited by 65smallblock; 01-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM

over flowing carb

i have a carter afb competition series 9635sa2590 and all that it wants to do is load up with no power and now when i cranck it over gas runs out of every place it can run out of !!! any help out there with my problem ?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

I had a Carter AFB carb in my 77' buick Skylark that had 305sbc. The choke flap on the carter would freeze on me. I could not get the car to start up. If I did start the car it would run like crap. I had better luck with Holley carb.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 AM

[QUOTE=bodyink] and now when i cranck it over gas runs out of every place it can run out of !!!

Ive been away from carb work for quite a while, but that sounds like a float problem to me. You probably either have a stuck float or it is simply not adjusted right.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.