Carter or a Rochester? 55 GMC, 287 Pontiac - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carter or a Rochester? 55 GMC, 287 Pontiac

I'm sure one of you can tell by looking. The truck is not close enough for me to drive to. The books list either a Carter WGD or a Rochester 2GC. I looked for images of both online but neither looked exact. I'd like to find an air breather for it. Are 2 bbl carbs pretty generic as far as breather fitment goes? I'm not worried about finding a model correct piece at the moment. Also, does anyone know how many quarts of oil a 287 holds? And what weight it should run?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet View Post
I'm sure one of you can tell by looking. The truck is not close enough for me to drive to. The books list either a Carter WGD or a Rochester 2GC. I looked for images of both online but neither looked exact. I'd like to find an air breather for it. Are 2 bbl carbs pretty generic as far as breather fitment goes? I'm not worried about finding a model correct piece at the moment. Also, does anyone know how many quarts of oil a 287 holds? And what weight it should run?

Kind of hard to tell for sure in this picture but I think that's a Stromberg WW.

Bogie
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Kind of hard to tell for sure in this picture but I think that's a Stromberg WW.

Bogie
I agree. It's a Stromberg WW

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x1.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	105210  
Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
I'd like to find an air breather for it.
Measure the air horn. If it's 2 5/16", the model #16-4 on this site will fit.....
Revheads - Engine Dressup - Air Cleaners & Accessories

Quote:
Also, does anyone know how many quarts of oil a 287 holds? And what weight it should run?
If there is an oil filter on the motor, use 10W-30 detergent oil. If there is no oil filter on it, use 30 weight non-detergent. Add one of these to each oil change. Oil formulations have changed, they no longer contain extreme pressure ZDDP lubricants that used to protect the cam and lifters. Add one bottle to each oil change to protect the cam.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-94000/overview/

As far as how much to put in the motor, drain all the old oil out and put 5 quarts in. Check the dipstick. If the motor needs more, the dipstick will tell you. It should not need more than 6 quarts.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

Stromberg, ok, mystery solved.

Techinspector oils still contain ZDDP. Most conventionals have in the 800-850 PPM range. High mileage oils and synthetics coming in around 1000-1100. The EPA has reduced allowable levels for passenger car oil but there are still brands on the shelf with high levels that will suit the needs of a normal flat tappet equipped engine. Most of the HDEO's, VR1 conventional, local to me Brad Penn, Mobil 1 10w40R ect are in the 1200-1400 range with Phosphorous/Zinc. Mobil sells some in the 1600/1750 which I believe is on the verge of too high. Too much ZDDP also causes increased wear and that additive you use boosts Phosphorous by 1200 ppm and Zinc by 1400. I would not be comfortable with that mix. Even in the 90's before the EPA went Gestapo there was still a 1600 PPM maximum limit. I am not sure how long that law had existed at that point but I didn't notice any real concern show up in the automotive community until levels started falling below 1200.

If you enjoy the specifics of oil you should check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com. I've been a member for several years.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 12-14-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Stromberg, ok, mystery solved.

Techinspector oils still contain ZDDP. Most conventionals have in the 800-850 PPM range. High mileage oils and synthetics coming in around 1000-1100. The EPA has reduced allowable levels for passenger car oil but there are still brands on the shelf with high levels that will suit the needs of a normal flat tappet equipped engine. Most of the HDEO's, VR1 conventional, local to me Brad Penn, Mobil 1 10w40R ect are in the 1200-1400 range with Phosphorous/Zinc. Mobil sells some in the 1600/1750 which I believe is on the verge of too high. Too much ZDDP also causes increased wear and that additive you use boosts Phosphorous by 1200 ppm and Zinc by 1400. I would not be comfortable with that mix. Even in the 90's before the EPA went Gestapo there was still a 1600 PPM maximum limit. I am not sure how long that law had existed at that point but I didn't notice any real concern show up in the automotive community until levels started falling below 1200.

If you enjoy the specifics of oil you should check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com. I've been a member for several years.
It's not about the Gestapo. It's about the manufacturers being hit with warranty claims due to extreme pressure lubes in the oil ruining catalytic converters. Pressure on oil companies from the OEM's is what has killed EP lubes in off-the-shelf motor oils.

I agree that there is a possibility of using too much EP lube in the oil.

"Most conventionals have in the 800-850 PPM range."
Not enough to protect a hot rod motor that uses stronger valve springs than stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
LATECH (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I agree with Tech1
Use Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs hotrod oil.
That old motor needs zinc.
Don't run conventional oil in it.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
It's not about the Gestapo. It's about the manufacturers being hit with warranty claims due to extreme pressure lubes in the oil ruining catalytic converters. Pressure on oil companies from the OEM's is what has killed EP lubes in off-the-shelf motor oils.

I agree that there is a possibility of using too much EP lube in the oil.

"Most conventionals have in the 800-850 PPM range."
Not enough to protect a hot rod motor that uses stronger valve springs than stock.

I realize that. I gave you all the levels because you suggested it was absent from oil altogether. I understand what the engine needs, I listed a whole string of brands off the top of my head that still meet the criteria, there are many more.

I'm aware of the purpose for the reduction in ZDDP. And I do equate the EPA with the gestapo. I do not believe the EPA operates with much thought towards improving the auto manufactures bottom line. The overwhelming majority of catalytic converter failures occur after warranty expiration. The EPA's goal is to reduce emissions and if they kill some old engines in the process that is just an added bonus. If Gina McCarthy had her way our hobby wouldn't even exist.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 12-15-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
I agree with Tech1
Use Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs hotrod oil.
That old motor needs zinc.
Don't run conventional oil in it.
Did you read my post?

"there are still brands on the shelf with high levels that will suit the needs of a normal flat tappet equipped engine. Most of the HDEO's, VR1 conventional, local to me Brad Penn, Mobil 1 10w40R ect are in the 1200-1400 range with Phosphorous/Zinc. Mobil sells some in the 1600/1750 which I believe is on the verge of too high."

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 12-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

Damn GJ...simmer down. The purpose of this forum is to be helpful and increase the knowledge base of the group as a whole. Just because you have a better than average understanding of something, doesn't mean the next guy reading it is as well equipped as you

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.