A Case To EFI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,538
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
A Case To EFI

Tuning In To The EFI Market: Engine Builder


    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 342
Thanked 809 Times in 775 Posts
Its hard to justify using a carb now a days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Its hard to justify using a carb now a days


not really.. I have carb's the rebuild kits are cheap..
EFI might be wonderfull but most don't have 1500+ to blow on it..
yes I'd love to get a holley hp efi for my 489 but the funds are just not there..
I wish I could but 99.oo master holley 3301-3 rebuild kit . or 1800.00 for the holley mpf efi hp kit..+ injectors and pump /lines so 2400.oo ish
the megasquirt is an option but that be more for someone thats either got a buddy thats already into the efi tuning that can guide you some..
or try it on an engine you don't care if you blow a hole in a piston learning..
and truthfully some engines.. like the bbc . where junkyard intakes and injectors really are not aval..
the cost isn't that much cheaper than the holley set up..
once you factor in the ecu /fuel rails/injectors/pump/lines/wiring/relays or relay board, communation cable and ubs adapter..
IF I can find a TPI this spring in a junkyard I will tinker with efi on my worn out 305 in my truck and learn on it.. as that is a cheap way to go.. 300-500 for the tpi and then the harness and ms ecu and cable/pump /line
the suck part of that.. is the TPI won't work on my 355 with big port heads.. so it's learn then start over... carb you can bolt from one engine to another. change jets(cheap) maybe a shooter/ramps/power valve( under 50 bucks)
and go..
has anyone priced a set of 8 injectors lately??? poof bye 1000.oo+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 342
Thanked 809 Times in 775 Posts
I will rephrase;

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
not really.. I have carb's the rebuild kits are cheap..
EFI might be wonderfull but most don't have 1500+ to blow on it..
yes I'd love to get a holley hp efi for my 489 but the funds are just not there..
I wish I could but 99.oo master holley 3301-3 rebuild kit . or 1800.00 for the holley mpf efi hp kit..+ injectors and pump /lines so 2400.oo ish
the megasquirt is an option but that be more for someone thats either got a buddy thats already into the efi tuning that can guide you some..
or try it on an engine you don't care if you blow a hole in a piston learning..
and truthfully some engines.. like the bbc . where junkyard intakes and injectors really are not aval..
the cost isn't that much cheaper than the holley set up..
once you factor in the ecu /fuel rails/injectors/pump/lines/wiring/relays or relay board, communation cable and ubs adapter..
IF I can find a TPI this spring in a junkyard I will tinker with efi on my worn out 305 in my truck and learn on it.. as that is a cheap way to go.. 300-500 for the tpi and then the harness and ms ecu and cable/pump /line
the suck part of that.. is the TPI won't work on my 355 with big port heads.. so it's learn then start over... carb you can bolt from one engine to another. change jets(cheap) maybe a shooter/ramps/power valve( under 50 bucks)
and go..
has anyone priced a set of 8 injectors lately??? poof bye 1000.oo+
If you make serious power and want excellent control of tuning,want to drive in mountainous regions,want to race and not tune at the track,have the ability to have a "valet" tune,want easier starting and cold drive ability then E.F.I. has many advantages that may well be worth considering.
same thing with using crank fired ignition and not worrying about cam chain stretch,distributor bearing wear,etc.
As better parts are introduced,using them is up to the individual,,
lol,some people still use points and dont use seat belts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
If you make serious power and want excellent control of tuning,want to drive in mountainous regions,want to race and not tune at the track,have the ability to have a "valet" tune,want easier starting and cold drive ability then E.F.I. has many advantages that may well be worth considering.
same thing with using crank fired ignition and not worrying about cam chain stretch,distributor bearing wear,etc.
As better parts are introduced,using them is up to the individual,,
lol,some people still use points and dont use seat belts
true.. but the buy in. is steep for cars that might see 2000-5000 miles ayear and used only in warm weather (cold start issues, not)
yes a big hp package it's easier to tune for more power. but then again.. those dumping 10-15k in an engine another 2000-3000k isn't gonna make or break their budget..
as for mountains.. how the hell did we ever get by before efi??
yes it's kool to just open a laptop/tablet and tune for that track.. or sealevel.. but not everyone needs that.. nor. can eat the buy in..
even in this hobby 2-3000 is still big money..
yes I'd not run a turbo again without efi.. but at that point budget isn't a word used in the engine build.. no matter what the ls guys say..
unless you call a 1000+ turbo /400+ in tubing/ blow off valve,waste gate 600.oo/ headers 400-600+/ and bigger injectors 1000 and the tuner to tune it 500+..

for most that extra power isn't needed and the huge cost is a turn off..
yes more power is always nice.. but I'll never understand why today.. the carb intakes are not alreadt drilled for efi bungs and just capped..
and I'd love to know why a throttlebody cost more than a carb with 1-12th the parts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 342
Thanked 809 Times in 775 Posts
quote
"as for mountains.. how the hell did we ever get by before efi??"
cars lost power before,ran rich,wore out quicker,,,
with F.I.,engines get better mileage,run cleaner,last longer.
I use a carb,,,I have 10k into the engine.
a carb is a controlled fuel leak

most tuners dont even spend time on the carbs,yet the cars still run

most of the stock engines from the manufacturers make more horse power than the hot rodders engines with their thumpr cams/avenger carbs/home ported heads and 2 1/2 inch exhaust systems
why??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
quote
"as for mountains.. how the hell did we ever get by before efi??"
cars lost power before,ran rich,wore out quicker,,,
with F.I.,engines get better mileage,run cleaner,last longer.
I use a carb,,,I have 10k into the engine.
a carb is a controlled fuel leak

most tuners dont even spend time on the carbs,yet the cars still run

most of the stock engines from the manufacturers make more horse power than the hot rodders engines with their thumpr cams/avenger carbs/home ported heads and 2 1/2 inch exhaust systems
why??????????
roller cams, better intakes and heads , the ls engine lost nothing with a carb.. and distributor.. WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 342
Thanked 809 Times in 775 Posts
fi Vs carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
roller cams, better intakes and heads , the ls engine lost nothing with a carb.. and distributor.. WHY?
You do not lose hp with a carb conversion,never have.
you lose what was already mentioned.

F.I. has a lot to offer,except price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
You do not lose hp with a carb conversion,never have.
you lose what was already mentioned.

F.I. has a lot to offer,except price.
thats the problem. there is no need for the cost..
if the stuff was made here, fine.. but it's all made with cheap labor..

take everything out of a carb but leave the trottle blades and add a 5 dollar tbs to the side.. and charge 6-900.oo for it..
injectors are mass produced.. no reason they cost what they do..
other than they can..

can't wait till efi is manstreem and the units are 5-7 years old, and giving the owner fits..
there is something to be said for K.I.S.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 PM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,538
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
thats the problem. there is no need for the cost..
if the stuff was made here, fine.. but it's all made with cheap labor..

take everything out of a carb but leave the trottle blades and add a 5 dollar tbs to the side.. and charge 6-900.oo for it..
injectors are mass produced.. no reason they cost what they do..
other than they can..

can't wait till efi is manstreem and the units are 5-7 years old, and giving the owner fits..
there is something to be said for K.I.S.S.

With your reply I can see you either didn't read the link or didn't understand it.Go back and re-read it.Then...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
S10xGN's Avatar
Gotta love a turbo!
 

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Neches, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 1,680
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
My current project (LS motor in a '63 Rambler American) is getting a Holley HP EFI system. I have a carb'ed LS in my Maverick and hate it. Runs great, but runs so rich at idle it fouls plugs and after a few minutes you smell like a gas pump. And yes, it has to be that rich (13.4 AFR) to keep from stalling with the cam I have...

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
1Gary's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roch,NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,538
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 201
Thanked 156 Times in 142 Posts
Curious.What is the 63's wt??.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
S10xGN's Avatar
Gotta love a turbo!
 

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Neches, TX
Age: 61
Posts: 1,680
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
My title says 2450#, but I've seen weights listed as high as 2740#. Being a stripped out 220 2dr sedan, it's prolly on the low side somewhere. Not sure where it'll end up, the engine and trans are lighter, but adding a rear clip and 9" will add some back...

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 447
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Efi

I would like to have EFI, however reality sets in. It's just way, way too expensive. I can buy 4 or 5 nice carbs for the price of one EFI system. I know the carb will work. For a vehicle that is a toy, EFI is also very complicated for the returns. At this point in time it's just not an rational alternative to the simplicity of a carb for limited use vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,297
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 342
Thanked 809 Times in 775 Posts
nice carb=$650.บบ
F.I.=$1200.บบ
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can a 1999 4l60e case be used for 2002 with bad case lugs misterchevy Transmission - Rearend 3 02-26-2012 06:20 AM
Non efi sender in an efi tank RotorHead Engine 5 07-26-2011 06:53 PM
Cam for 460 EFI? EFI - Does it matter? offroadin Engine 2 06-22-2004 06:49 AM
T10 Case or SuperT10 case?? GMBrutus Transmission - Rearend 1 02-16-2004 01:37 PM
Edlebrock EFI vs. Holley EFI trick66 Engine 2 03-22-2003 03:43 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.