Hot Rod Forum banner

casket car register

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
ok i want register my car if not here in Jersey can i do it another state? theres no ser# being totally home built , motor that we rebuilt . this was in a S10 that i had bought so who knows where the motor and trans came from all other parts came from ebay and flee markets

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
wiki time

There is a wiki here on hotrodders "how to title a hotrod" Information for a lot of states, Read all the posts you can find for your state, also read arrowhead's posts about the problems he had in new york registering his 33 FFR build. the engine number in his donor car did not match and the state confiscated his engine WITH EXPENSIVE parts he had added.

#7 · (Edited)
There is a wiki here on hotrodders "how to title a hotrod" Information for a lot of states, Read all the posts you can find for your state, also read arrowhead's posts about the problems he had in new york registering his 33 FFR build. the engine number in his donor car did not match and the state confiscated his engine WITH EXPENSIVE parts he had added.

that will happen in almost any state.. with a kit or home built car..
you need reciepts for EVERYTHING.... if you buy a donor car, you have to check that the engine is the correct one that was factory to that domor.. or have the fact that is doesn't match on the bill of sale and noterized..
if the state can't prove it's a stolen piece, he should get it back..
anyone that buys parts on craigslist or ebay, needs to record the transaction.. kit car or not..
to much hot stuff online being sold.. they find one part , and they can take your whole vehicle..
in the case above the kit car owner had no receipt for the engine..
always list the engine #'s, rear end#'s and trans #'s of the donor car on bill of sale.. to cover your behind..
I video the whole car inside and out before I remove it from the sellers land to my home.. if it's hot you're still loosing it.. but at least they'll beable to go back to the seller.. and if they charge you with "receiving stolen parts" you'll have a leg to stand on, in court..

#6 ·
Put some air cleaners on that thing! Come on now! haha
Here ya go. First step is titling it obviously. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_title_a_hot_rod
Too bad you're not in florida! You could put a saddle on a cat and get a title for it down here![/QUOT

OK, the cat thing, I like it a lot, made me laugh, made me pee a little too.

Thanks, just the vision of going to the DMV and getting it registered...I'm still laughing.

Made my day.

Ray

#8 ·
I lived in jersey for 35 years. This will never make the road. I am in FLA now and even with the easy going hot rod titles here ,Your missing to much. You will need to get brakes, headlights, /change the pipes. Get it tagged. Then you can return it back to how you want it.

#10 ·
In FL a buddy put a kit car together ('33 Vicky), he used an old title I had left over from when I hauled cars in to be crushed. They wanted a source for the parts that went into the kit car (engine, etc.).

Now, FL requires a title to crush a car (they didn't use to, can you imagine?), so I have titles from that era. It worked for him, even though the old FL titles require a notary and the one I gave him was never signed over (don't ask/don't tell).

Nowadays FL titles don't need a notary, so maybe that requirement has been waived for old FL titles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.