Cast Iron or Moly? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Chevy Truck Nut

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cast Iron or Moly?

I am assembling a 72 402 BBC , stock dome pistons, mild cam (.550 lift), 820 Oval ports (116cc chambers). Got new cam bearings and freeze plugs, engine cleaned up std bore, std mains, .10 Rods, performer intake.
I am about to order my rings and normal we use Moly rings with our small block builds. Want to know which would be best for this build? Cast iron or moly?

This setup will be going in my 68 C10 work/towing/driver. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Steven

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

moly is a facing on a ring, not what the ring is. A ductile iron or steel ring can also be a moly ring. I'm guessing you just want a cheap set of rings though (cast rings), for the extra $15 the moly facing is worth it IMO. Other than the little extra cost there's no downside to moly and it tends to seal better and be a little more durable.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Chevy Truck Nut

Last photo:

Thank You, I understand moly is a coating. I dont mind paying the extra money for some good rings at all. Im looking for the better sealing myself.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPI28 View Post
Thank You, I understand moly is a coating. I dont mind paying the extra money for some good rings at all. Im looking for the better sealing myself.
Cast iron rings with a moly inlay is the 'standard' moly ring. If you want to go up a notch, look for plasma moly rings. But in your build you really don't need the added cost of plasma moly rings. Now if you plan on using nitrous, that's a different story.

Whatever you end up choosing after doing your due diligence, be sure the machinist knows exactly what ring it is you are going to use before he does the final hone. If he says he doesn't care what rings you are using, pack up your things and find another machinist.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
ZPI28 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you want good seal then spring for the Total Seal rings. I use those on engines I really care about and while the cost seems like a bit much compared to a cheap moly set they really do have zero leak down. Pro's say they're only worth 5-10hp which isn't much- but they also give you cleaner oil and improved vacuum which helps on the street.

Last time I bought a set I think it was about $150- and you can get a set of cheap moly rings for like $40 so again to you the sticker shock may not be worth it. I've used both and for some applications a std moly set is really just fine and sometimes I want something a little better.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Total Seal has conventional as well as gapless first and gapless second ring sets. You might want to expand (no pun intended) on what Total Seal rings you're recommending to the OP.
either Gapless set has worked for me. Some people claim a gapless second cannot work because it holds pressure between the top and second ring but I have a Cutlass outside that shows different. The Gapless second set is a little cheaper, but like I said the pro's recommend Gapless top.

I believe those rings are all ductile iron as well, but it's been a while so I would check on that before you hold it to be gospel.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPI28 View Post
I am assembling a 72 402 BBC , stock dome pistons, mild cam (.550 lift), 820 Oval ports (116cc chambers). Got new cam bearings and freeze plugs, engine cleaned up std bore, std mains, .10 Rods, performer intake.
I am about to order my rings and normal we use Moly rings with our small block builds. Want to know which would be best for this build? Cast iron or moly?

This setup will be going in my 68 C10 work/towing/driver. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Steven
Stick with moly or chrome these are really wear coatings on a cast iron ring, but bare iron, while breaking in quickly, doesn't provide a wear resistant enough surface so their life span is pretty short especially by today's standard where a 100,000 miles is barely broken in.

The hard coating (traditional moly or chrome, and the coming of titanium nitride and cold case nitriding) are mostly applied to the top ring which sees a lot of heat, pressure and poor to no oiling so these coatings are intended to improve resistance to abraison and mico-welding in this demanding situation.

Most second rings are plane cast iron but may include a coating such as phosphate to reduce wear and improve lubrication, the second ring works in a much friendlier environment than the top ring.

For a third ring the oil control ring, I much prefer the three piece expander type over a cast ring as the individual pieces have more freedom to conform to the cylinder wall. These are usually made of chorme plated steel or from stainless steel.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
ZPI28 (11-09-2012)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.